JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Lipscomb women’s soccer team earned its second victory of the week by defeating North Florida, 1-0 on Sunday afternoon.
The Bisons and Ospreys were locked in a defensive battle through the first 45 minutes of play as the two teams played to an even 0-0 draw. There were just three shots on goal between the two teams in the first half.
The second half saw much of the same as the Purple and Gold’s offensive attack struggled to break through the North Florida defensive backline.
North Florida was able to apply a little pressure by accumulating six shots, with three coming on goal but Lipscomb goalkeeper Melissa Gray stood strong in net and saved everything that came her way.
With the end of regulation nearing, the match looked like it was heading for overtime but Lipscomb was able to finally breakthrough on a goal by freshman Molly Grant.
Grant’s goal came in the 87th minute and secured the win for the Bisons after she was able to get around the North Florida goalkeeper deep in the left side of the box and sent a rocket into the net.
- Lipscomb improves to 9-5-1 on the season and is 3-1-1 in conference play.
- It was North Florida’s first loss in conference play
- Grant’s goal was her fifth of the year, which ranks as the second most on the team
- Gray compiled four saves on the day and recorded her fifth shutout
- Katia Hanger and Dominique Diller went the full 90 minutes for the Bisons
- Both teams earned three corner kicks
Lipscomb will return to the Music City to host NJIT on Oct. 20 with kickoff scheduled for 6 p.m.