Skip to main content

Women's Soccer > News

November 09, 20191st2nd1OT 2OT 3OT Final
Kennesaw St.010001
LIP14:52Olivia Doak (Molly Grant )
KSU68:25Erin Harris (Kendall Hart )
KSUSornpao, Tiffany110:0011
LIPGray, Melissa110:0016
Stats at a GlanceKSULIP
Shots (on Goal)20 (7) 9 (2)
Corner Kicks43
Yellow Cards11
Back To Back: Women's Soccer Wins Second-Straight ASUN Championship
Saturday, November 9, 2019
By Danny Kotula
Back To Back: Women's Soccer Wins Second-Straight ASUN Championship

NASHVILLE - The Lipscomb women’s soccer team defeated Kennesaw State in an exciting ASUN Championship Final on Saturday night at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex by a score of 1-1 (4-3) in a penalty shootout.

The first ten minutes were understandably nervy on both sides, as neither team was able to hold onto any significant possession.

In the 12th minute, however, Maycie McKay took a strike from outside the box in an attempt to put the Bisons ahead. Her shot went just over the bar, but Lipscomb would have another chance to score soon after.

Three minutes later, Molly Grant played an aerial ball into the box that reached Olivia Doak, who redirected it on the volley into the back of the net.

That sent Lipscomb into the half with a 1-0 lead, despite the Owls creating the majority of the attacking opportunities for the remainder of the period.

Lipscomb started out the second half strong with a couple of scoring opportunities from Cami Rogers, but it was KSU who would find the equalizer in the 69th minute.

Erin Harris hammered in a header from close range after Kendall Hart struck a free kick off the post in the 69th minute.

Both teams fought valiantly in the attack to create a game-winning goal, but the match stayed even at 1-1 after regulation forcing overtime.

The two squads battled it out over two 10-minute overtime periods, but stayed deadlocked at one goal a piece to send the match into a penalty kick shootout.

In the shootout, the Bisons missed their first two penalty kicks, and the Owls converted all of their first three.

This put Lipscomb in a precarious position, but they stormed back to make their next three as Kennesaw State missed their final two, leaving the scores level at 3-3.

After that, the match went to sudden death, where Emily Patti put her shot in the back of the net and Kennesaw State missed its third in a row on a save from goalkeeper Melissa Gray to end the match.

"This was two really talented teams slugging it out and I'm just greatful that we came up with a save when we needed to in penalties," head coach Kevin O'Brien said. "This group has great character, great heart and they would never quit. We could be down by four goals and this team isn't going to quit because that's just who they are, that's their DNA. 

"We were just going to keep pushing and pushing and creating some chances late, we hit the crossbar, but we just couldn't find that winner in regulation or overtime. Penalties didn't start out super well for us and thankfully Mel came good when she needed to and the players that were three-four-five took their penalities really well."



  • Doak's goal was her 10th of the year, which leads the team.
  • Grant's assist was her seventh, which is tied for the team lead.
  • This was the first game of the season for Lipscomb that went into a penalty shootout.
  • KSU outshot Lipscomb 20-9 with a 7-2 shots-on-goal advantage.
  • Gray made six saves in regulation and overtime.
  • Hart was issued a yellow card for KSU and Patti was also issued a yellow card for Lipscomb.
  • The Bisons were called for offsides 11 times compared to two for the Owls.
  • Doak, Gray, Dominique Diller and Hailey Eck were named to the All-Tournament Team with Gray named as the MVP.


With the win, the Bisons secured a berth to the NCAA Tournament. Lipscomb will find out its next match on Monday when the entire bracket is announced.

There will be a watch party held for the selection show in the Hall of Fame Room at Allen Area starting at 3:30 p.m.