NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Putting Thursday’s loss to Kennesaw State behind them, the Lipscomb women’s tennis team evened out their week’s record, posting a 4-2 victory over the visiting Mercer Bears on Saturday at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
The weather only allowed for the singles competition.
Deahna Welcher, Lorena Djuknic, Jenny Borck and Alyssa Bellini all won their respective matches.
Coach Andrew Harris said that despite the weather issues, the team responded strongly to the Bears.
“Unbelievable response today from the ladies. Due to the weather, we ended up not starting with doubles but singles,” Harris said. “So, we had to come out sharp, and the girls rose to the challenge.”
Harris praised the performance of junior Bellini.
“It was very fitting that Alyssa finished the match off because she is our leader, and as she goes, so will we,” Harris said.
Following Saturday’s win, the Lady Bisons (7-10, 2-3 in the A-Sun) will continue conference play with a trip to Johnson City on Friday, April 5, to take on ETSU. Harris hopes the week’s practice will get the team ready for the road match.
“Another important week of practice, so we will need to be sharp and effective come next week,” Harris said.
Lipscomb 4, Mercer 2
Mar 30, 2013 at Nashville, Tenn. (Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center)
1. Deahna Welcher (LIPW) def. Isabel Dennis (MU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Lucie Payrat (MU) def. Melissa Kromer (LIPW) 7-6, 6-4
3. Lorena Djuknic (LIPW) def. Liza Klyachkin (MU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Jenny Borck (LIPW) def. Roxy Bartz (MU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Alyssa Bellini (LIPW) def. Keallee Heffner (MU) 6-2, 6-7, 6-0
6. Natalie Franklin (MU) def. Shilpa Naruka (LIPW) 6-4, 6-4
Mercer 5-11, 1-4 A-Sun
Lipscomb 7-10, 2-3 A-Sun