The Lady Bisons did not start off the match quite like they wanted. Dropping all three doubles matches, the Lady Bisons lost the doubles point to Campbell.
At No. 2 doubles, Kara Jackson and Danielle Hansen came off court first. The duo lost to Lisa Sutton and Borislava Nikolova 8-1.
Putting up a tough fight, Julianne McMeen and Carlina Jow fell to Nicoletta Kaposzta and Lourdes Ros at No.3, in an 8-4 loss.
Elizabeth Keevil and Mackenzie Bishop were defeated at No. 1 by Cristina Garcia and Ana Surviladze after rallying back to an 8-6 loss.
The Lady Bisons headed into singles play with the match scoring resting at 1-0 in Campbell’s favor.
Falling at the No. 1 spot, Bishop lost to Sutton 6-2, 6-3.
At No. 2, Keevil could not pull out the win, rallying back in the second set to make the match score 6-2, 6-4.
The Lady Bisons disadvantage was growing, now down in the match 0-3.
Hansen was defeated by Campbell lefty Bianca Saenz at No. 3 6-2, 6-2.
Now down 4-0, the match was already decided in favor of Campbell.
Lipscomb fell again at No. 4. Jackson lost to Nikolova in a close match, resulting in a 6-3, 7-6(3) defeat.
At No. 5, Jow fell to Surviladze 6-1, 6-1, bringing the match score to 6-0.
McMeen also lost at No. 6, falling to Gomar 6-0, 6-3.
“I expressed to the girls that I was disappointed in our performance tonight,” coach Kristin Lusk said. “Not because we lost, but because I felt like we lost because we were mentally weaker, not physically weaker.
“We’ve got to learn what it takes to win close matches. We’ve still got a lot of our season left, and I expect to see the girls come back from this stronger than they are now.”
The Lady Bisons play again on Saturday in their second conference match against USC-Upstate. Match play begins at 10 a.m. at Lipscomb’s tennis complex.
1. Cristina Garcia/ Ana Surviladze (CU) def. Keevil/ Bishop (LU) 8-6
2. Lisa Sutton/ Borislava Nikolova (CU) def. Jackson/ Hansen (LU) 8-1
3. Nicoletta Kaposzta/ Lourdes Ros (CU) def. McMeen/ Jow (LU) 8-4
1. Sutton (CU) def. Mackenzie Bishop (LU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Garcia (CU) def. Elizabeth Keevil (LU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Bianca Saenz (CU) def. Danielle Hansen (LU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Nikolova (CU) def. Kara Jackson (LU) 6-3,7-6 (3)
5. Surviladze (CU) def. Carlina Jow (LU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Arais Gomar (CU) def. Julianne McMeen (LU)
Written by Ashlan Williams, student assistant in sports information.