‘We played two very good teams out of Florida this week,” women’s assistant coach Jamie Aid said. “We are continuing to have difficulties closing games. We have some specific things that we will go to work on this week. The girls are showing a will to fight, and we were encouraged to see that against FGCU. We are looking forward to a good week of practice and time to prepare for this weeks coming matches.”
The Lady Bisons opened the match on a sour note when they were swept in doubles play to start off with a 1-0 deficit.
Senior Kara Jackson and freshman Alyssa Bellini were defeated at No. 1 doubles by Iris Rendon and Bettina Botha 8-3.
At No. 2, juniors Danielle Hansen and Elizabeth Keevil fell 8-2 to Gyanna Mandic and Morgan Bechtel.
Sophomore Carlina Jow and senior Julianne McMeen lost to Bibiana Almeida and Jen Evans at No. 3 8-1.
The Lady Bisons transitioned into singles play but went on to record only one win.
The Lady Bisons lone singles win came at No. 3. Bellini steadily outplayed Botha to post a 6-2, 6-2 victory.
Jackson, in her first match at No. 1 this season, fell to Bechtel 6-3, 6-2, while Keevil, who stepped down to No. 2, was defeated by Rendon 6-1, 6-0.
Hansen fell to Evans 6-1, 6-3 at No. 4, while Jow was defeated at No. 5 by Almeida 6-1, 6-2.
At No. 6, McMeen lost to Mandic 6-0, 6-1.
The Lady Bisons return to Nashville to face North Florida in their next A-Sun match up at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on Friday, March 25.
1. Rendon and Botha (FGCU) def. Jackson and Bellini (LIP), 8-3
2. Mandic and Bechtel (FGCU) def. Hansen and Keevil (LIP), 8-2
3. Almeida and Evans (FGCU) def. Jow and McMeen (LIP), 8-1
1. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) def. Kara Jackson (LIP), 6-3, 6-2
2. Iris Rendon (FGCU) def. Elizabeth Keevil (LIP), 6-1, 6-0
3. Alyssa Bellini (LIP) def. Bettina Botha (FGCU), 6-2, 6-2
4. Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Danielle Hansen (LIP), 6-1, 6-3
5. Bibiana Almeida (FGCU) def. Carlina Jow (LIP), 6-1, 6-2
6. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) def. Julianne McMeen (LIP), 6-0, 6-1
Written by Ashlan Williams, student assistant in athletics media relations.