NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team dropped to a 2-4 mark on the season on Friday night when they were defeated 5-2 by UT Martin at the Whitworth Racquet Club in Nashville.
"We came out a little slow in the doubles tonight and need to continue to work on consistency right now,” head coach Andrew Harris said. “Singles, Welcher and Borck showed great maturity tonight by coming out and finishing their matches. We have two weeks now to evaluate in more detail what we need to do from here to make sure we continue to progress. This will be a critical two week stretch for us."
The Lady Bison started off with a 1-0 deficit after dropping the doubles point in a straight sweep, UT Martin taking all three matches.
Sophomore Alyssa Bellini and freshman Deahna Welcher were defeated 8-1 at No. 1 by Alice Lang and Anna Marie Herbold, while senior Elizabeth Keevil and freshman Jenny Borck fell at No. 2 to Ivon Simic and Jodie Tiley, losing 8-5.
The senior duo of Danielle Hansen and Samantha Bowman lost at No. 3 to Anna Winklemann and Jessica Silva 8-2.
Down 1-0, the Lady Bison entered into singles play where the two freshmen showed all the leadership.
The only two wins for the Lady Bison came at No. 2 and No. 3 where freshmen Welcher and Borck defeated their opponents, both in straight sets.
At No. 2, Welcher defeated Johanie VanZyle 6-3, 6-1, while Borck took down Simic at No. 3 6-4, 6-1.
UT Martin posted wins in the remaining four singles matches.
Bellini was defeated 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1 by Tiley, and Keevil was shut down by Herbold at No. 4, losing 6-2, 6-0.
At No. 5, Hansen fell to Winklemann 6-1, 6-2, while Bowman was defeated at No. 6 by Silva 6-0, 7-5.
The Lady Bison will be back in action after two weeks off on Friday, Feb. 24 when they face Abilene Christian at the Whitworth Racquet Club at 7 p.m.
1. Lang/ Herbold (UTM) def. Welcher/ Bellini (LU) 8-1
2. Simic/ Tiley (UTM) def. Borck/ Keevil (LU) 8-5
3. Winklemann/ Silva (UTM) def. Bowman & Hansen (LU) 8-2
1. Jodie Tiley def. Alyssa Bellini (LU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Deahna Welcher (LU) def. Johanie VanZyle (UTM) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jenny Borck (LU) def. Ivon Simic (UTM) 6-4, 6-1
4. Anna Marie Herbold def. Elizabeth Keevil (LU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Anna Winklemann (UTM) def. Danielle Hansen (LU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jessica Silva (UTM) def. Samantha Bowman (LU) 6-0, 7-5