Following Friday’s loss to ETSU, the Lipscomb women’s tennis team traveled a state over to take on USC Upstate. Unfortunately, the team couldn’t win their second road match of the weekend, losing 5-2.
The doubles team of Deahna Welcher and Jenny Borck walked away with a victory, while Borck and Melissa Kromer won their singles matches.
Coach Andrew Harris said that the team planned to begin the day strong in doubles, but that changed as the set went on.
“We wanted to break things down very straight forward with the girls Saturday in doubles starting off,” Harris said. “We want them to keep their energy up and focus on finishing at the net. For the most part, that held constant through the doubles until we got through the later stages of the pro set.”
Harris said the play of USC Upstate was a large factor in the team’s loss.
“Upstate’s players executed the shots when they had opportunities,” Harris said. “The same could be said for the singles. When we have the momentum in matches it's imperative that we sustain that momentum and don't give it back.”
LU, 7-12 overall, 2-5 in the conference, will face a quick turnaround with a match against Ole Miss at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on Tuesday, April 9.
USC Upstate 5, Lipscomb 2
Apr 06, 2013 at Spartanburg, S.C. (Upstate Tennis Complex)
1. Isabel von Stryk (UPSTW) def. Deahna Welcher (LIPW) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4
2. Constanze Kuerten (UPSTW) def. Lorena Djuknic (LIPW) 6-4, 6-0
3. Melissa Kromer (LIPW) def. Talia Rojas (UPSTW) 7-6 (7-4), 2-6, 10-7
4. Jenny Borck (LIPW) def. Taylor Cohen (UPSTW) 6-4, 6-1
5. Allison Beeler (UPSTW) def. Alyssa Bellini (LIPW) 7-6 (4-0), 6-3
6. Julie Bell (UPSTW) def. Shilpa Naruka (LIPW) 6-4, 6-2
1. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (LIPW) def. Taylor Cohen/Julie Bell (UPSTW) 8-7 (7-5)
2. Isabel von Stryk/Talia Rojas (UPSTW) def. Alyssa Bellini/Lorena Djuknic (LIPW) 8-2
3. Allison Beeler/Constanze Kuerten (UPSTW) def. Shilpa Naruka/Melissa Kromer (LIPW) 8-3
Lipscomb 7-12, 2-5 A-Sun
USC Upstate 12-5, 4-2 A-Sun
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,2,4,5,1,3)