OXFORD, Miss.- The Lipscomb Women’s tennis team fell 7-0 at Ole Miss in Friday night. The Lady Bisons dropped to 5-3 on the season with the loss.
The Lady Bisons could not secure a victory spot in any singles or doubles matches against the Rebels.
Juniors Deahna Welcher and Jenny Bork at No. 1in doubles lost to UM’s Iris Verboven and Erin Stephens 8-1.
“The doubles is improving, it was good to see the girls play better,” said Borck. “Playing girls at that level (SEC), we’d need to be more aggressive, but also make less errors.
“Those two go hand in hand, but that’s what it takes to beat great teams.”
Doubles at No. 2 and No. 3 also lost their respective matches.
In singles, Welcher at No. 1 gave the match away to Zalina Kharudinova in straight sets 6-0, 6-2.
“Everyone competed in both singles and doubles, even though the scores showed otherwise, every point was close,” said Welcher.
“I think not being able to close games when we have the advantage is what kept us from having closer scores or a win. The results would have been much different if we were able to do that.”
Melissa Kromer at No. 2 lost to UM’s Caroline Rohde Moe 6-1, 6-0 and Laura Kent at No. 3 lost to Julia Jones 6-1, 6-2.
“It was a tough match that allowed me to see certain aspects of my game that need focusing on,” said Kent. “I am looking forward to getting some rhythm on the outdoor courts to carry into rest of the season.”
At singles No. 4, UM’s Mai El Kamash defeated Borck with the score of 7-5, 6-2.
Lorena Djuknic at No. 5 and Sierra Troxel at No. 6 also faced straight-set defeats against UM’s Eris Stephens and Marya Milutonovic.
Just a few matches away from the conference, the Lady Bisons are set to play against Morehead State next weekend in Morehead, Kentucky.
- Zalina Khairudinova (UM) def. Deahna Welcher (LU) 6-0, 6-2
- Caroline Rohde Moe (UM) def. Melissa Kromer (LU) 6-1, 6-0
- Julia Jones (UM) def. Laura Kent (LU) 6-1, 6-2
- Mai El Kamash def. Jenny Borck (LU) 7-5, 6-2
- Eris Stephens def. Lorena Djuknic (LU) 6-2, 6-1
- Marya Milutinovic def. Sierra Troxel (LU) 6-2, 6-0
- Verboven/ Stephens (UM) def. Welcher/Borck (LU) 8-1
- Moe/ Milutinovic (UM) def. Kromer/Kent (LU) 8-3
- Jones/Khairvoinova (UM) def. Djuknic/Troxel (LU) 8-2