|Women's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2015 Stats|
Saturday, April 05, 2014
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team fell 6-1 to Florida Gulf Coast University on Saturday afternoon at Huston–Marsh Griffith Tennis Center.
Lipscomb dropped 2-4 in the Atlantic Sun Conference.
The Lady Bisons started off very strong in doubles and won all three matches, taking away the doubles point and leading 1-0 from the beginning.
However, Lipscomb failed to record any victories in singles against FGCU.
Left-hander Deahna Welcher at No. 1 played very consistently but could not resist opponent Sarah Means’s aggressive shots and lost in straight sets 6-1, 6-1.
Lorena Djuknic at No. 5 played with great variation and won some great points but lost in a close straight set fight against Elizabeth Means.
Melissa Kromer at No. 2 served strongly throughout the match. Kromer took some great points against Breana Stampfli but could not resist the consistent play by the opponent and ended up losing 6-1, 6-2.
Laura Kent at No. 3, Sierra Troxel at No. 6 and Jenny Borck at No. 3 lost their respective matches in straight sets.
The Lady Bisons have two more matches before the A-Sun Championship starts on April 18.
They will make a road trip to Kentucky to play Northern Kentucky University on April 9.
Lipscomb vs. FGCU
Women ‘s singles
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Deahna Welcher (Lip) 6-1, 6-1
2. Breana Stampfli (FGCU) def. Mellisa Kromer (Lip) 6-1, 6-2
3. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) def. Laura Kent (Lip) 6-3,6-2
4. Candela Munoz Giron (FGCU) def. Jenny Borck (Lip) 6-2, 6-2
5. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Lorena Djuknic (Lip) 6-4, 6-4
6. Bettina Botha (FGCU) def. Sierra Troxel (Lip) 6-1, 6-2
1. Borck/Welcher (Lip) def. E. Means / S.Means (FGCU) 8-4
2. Kromer/ Kent (Lip) def. Botha/ Sterkel FGCU) 8-2
3. Djuknic/ Troxel (Lip) def. Mandic/ Munoz Giron (FGCU) 8-4
Women's Tennis Archives
2013-14 Women's Tennis