NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Battle of the Boulevard took to the tennis courts on Tuesday as the Lipscomb women’s tennis team swept Belmont 6-0.
The teams, playing at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center, began with singles play, electing to use doubles only in the case of a tie.
The Lady Bisons started hot as Deahna Welcher, Laura Kent and Danielle Kinnen all won their matches in straight sets to give Lipscomb a quick 3-0 lead.
Top-seeded Hannah Gamage dropped her first set to Lindsey Whitehead 6-2. Gamage would bounce back as she took the match in three sets 2-6, 7-5, 6-0.
In the four spot, Melissa Kromer quickly got up a set on Abbie Mather before Mather took the second set. Kromer went on to pull out the 6-1, 5-7, 6-2 win.
Jenny Borck played in the five spot and also got up a set to start things. Belmont’s Suzanna Stapler went on to even things at a set apiece but Borck went on to win 6-4, 5-7, 6-2.
Coach Jamie Aid was happy to see her girls pick up the win, especially in such a dominating manner.
“The girls did well,” Aid said. “We’ve talked about having that energy.
“We’ve talked about pushing through when you’re up. It’s hard not to be tight. They’re all playing good tennis right now.”
The Lady Bisons will hit the road on Wednesday morning, as they head to Florida for Atlantic Sun Conference matches against Florida Gulf Coast and Stetson on Thursday and Saturday.
“Right now we’re focused on Gulf Coast,” Aid said. “Today the girls were talking about the weekend and we reminded them that we were focused on Belmont. It’s all about staying within the process.”
Play on Thursday will begin at 9 a.m. in Fort Myers. FGCU (4-9, 2-0) comes into the match on a two-match win streak as it defeated conference foes Kennesaw State and USC-Upstate both by scores of 6-1.
“It should be a competitive match against Gulf Coast,” Aid said. “They have a great team but if we play our tennis we should have a great shot.”
The Lady Bisons will take on Stetson (12-2, 2-0) at 9 a.m. on Saturday. Stetson has won their last three and 11 of their last 12 matches. Stetson opened conference play with a 6-0 win over USC-Upstate and a 6-1 win over Kennesaw State.
“Stetson is deep from top to bottom,” Aid said. “We will have to be on the top of our game against them.”
Lipscomb 6 – Belmont 0
1. Laura Kent/ Melissa Kromer (Lip.) vs. Lindsey Whitehead/Kendall Warren (BU) DNP
2. Jenny Borck/Deahna Welcher (Lip.) vs. Laura Van Eeckhoudt/Abbie Mather (BU) DNP
3. Danielle Kinnen/Hannah Gamage (Lip.) vs. Suzanna Stapler/Maddie Gilley (BU) DNP
1. Hannah Gamage (Lip.) def. Lindsey Whitehead (BU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-0
2. Deahna Welcher (Lip.) def. Laura Van Eeckhoudt (BU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Laura Kent (Lip.) def. Kendall Warren (BU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Melissa Kromer (Lip.) def. Abbie Mather (BU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-2
5. Jenny Borck (Lip.) def. Suzanna Stapler (BU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-2
6. Danielle Kinnen (Lip.) def. Jenna Krakau (BU) 6-2, 6-3