FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Lipscomb women’s tennis team picked up the important doubles point but wasn’t able to continue their play in singles as they lost to Atlantic Sun foe Florida Gulf Coast 5-2 on Thursday.
In the doubles two seed, Jenny Borck and Deahna Welcher teamed up for the Lady Bisons to take on Breana Stampfli and Candela Munoz Giron and picked up the 8-3 victory.
To win the point, Danielle Kinnen and Hannah Gamage defeated Johanna Sterkel and Alex Landert 8-4.
Coach Jamie Aid has stressed the importance of the double’s point in conference play all season, so picking up the point was encouraging.
The singles play didn’t go the Lady Bisons' way however, as they only picked up one singles win.
Playing as the two seed, Deahna Welcher played Stampfli and picked up a hard fought 4-6, 6-3, 10-4 win.
Laura Kent played as the three seed against Sterkel and took the first set but Sterkel would recover to take it 3-6, 6-0, 6-2.
The Lady Bisons will look to bounce back on Saturday as they take on Stetson. Play in Deland will begin at 10 a.m.
Fort Myers, Florida
Florida Gulf Coast 5 – Lipscomb 2
1. Sarah Means/Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (Lip.) 8-2
2. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (Lip.) def. Breana Stampfli/Candela Munoz Giron (FGCU) 8-3
3. Danielle Kinnen/Hannah Gamage (Lip.) def. Johanna Sterkel/Alex Landert (FGCU) 8-4
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Hannah Gamage (Lip) 6-3, 6-1
2. Deahna Welcher (Lip.) def. Breana Stampfli (FGCU) 4-6, 6-3, 10-4
3. Johanna Sterkel (FGCU) def. Laura Kent (Lip.) 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
4.Candela Munoz Giron (FGCU) def. Melissa Kromer (Lip.) 6-3, 6-4
5. Elizabeth Means (FGCU) def. Jenny Borck (Lip.) 6-4, 6-2
6. Alex Landert (FGCU) def. Danielle Kinnen (Lip.) 6-2, 6-2