NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb Lady Bisons won their first Atlantic Sun match of the season with a dominating 6-1 win over USC Upstate Wednesday night at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Stadium.
“It was a great showing,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “They definitely played better in singles than they did against Stetson. It is nice to see our abilities continue to grow as we progress through the conference part of the season.
“We played our best tennis. They played their best tennis. We are in the most important part of our season. We are playing better tennis as we approach the conference tournament. It is a great thing to see.”
Aid pointed to the performance of Deahna Welcher in the No. 2 spot as a highlight of the successful evening.
“Deahna Welcher played the best I have ever seen her play,” Aid said. “Deahna has really come into her game and is understanding what her game is and where her weapons are.
“She has a lot of match confidence. She knows what she needs to do with the ball.”
Aid was also complimentary of the play of Melissa Kromer.
“Melissa was the first one off of the court,” Aid said. “Melissa was unbelievable. She also played the best tennis I have seen her play as well.”
The doubles team of Hannah Gamage and Danielle Kinnen stretched its unbeaten streak to 4-0.
The Lady Bisons will be on the road at Kennesaw State Saturday.
“In the four conference matches we have played so far we have won three doubles points,” Aid said. “All the girls have a lot of momentum going into Kennesaw. Hopefully, we will have another program first and be the No. 4 seed in the conference tournament with a win at Kennesaw.”
Lipscomb 6, USC Upstate 1
- Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (LIP) def. Isabel von Stryk/Anna Zoske (Upstate) 8-4
- Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (LIP) def. Nina Roell/Nona Ruppert (Upstate) 8-4
- Hannah Gamage/Danielle Kinnen (LIP) def. Sharlee Deshmukh/Sarah Vande Berg (Upstate) 8-3
- Von Stryk (Upstate) def. Gamage 6-4, 6-6
- Welcher (LIP) def. Ruppert (Upstate) 6-0, 6-1
- Kent (LIP) def. Zoske (Upstate) 6-2, 6-2
- Kromer (LIP) def. Roell (Upstate) 6-1, 6-0
- Borck (LIP) def. Deshmukh (Upstate) 6-1, 6-0
- Kinnen (LIP) def. Vande Berg (Upstate) 6-1, 6-3