MARIETTA, Ga. – The Lipscomb Lady Bisons tennis team went to Georgia looking for a berth in the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament.
They got what they wanted as they beat Kennesaw State 6-1 Saturday afternoon at the Fair Oaks Tennis Center in Marietta, Georgia,
“We don’t know our seed, but we are sure we have clinched a spot in the conference tournament,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “We are so happy. This has been our goal all season.”
While the win appeared to be a dominating one for the Lady Bisons, Aid was quick to point out that looks can be deceiving at first glance.
“There was a dark side,” Aid said. “Even though the score says 6-1 the matches were really close. Kennesaw State came out with a lot of energy which we expected.
“The doubles point was close. The doubles came down to Laura Kent and Melissa Kromer playing at one.”
Hannah Gamage, playing at No. 1, lost her singles match. Jenny Borck, Kromer and Kent all played to three sets before winning.
It was the second A-Sun match win in a row for the Lady Bisons. Once again the seniors, Borck and Deahna Welcher, stepped forward when needed.
“It was a fight,” Aid said. “Our two seniors really rose up.
“Deahna took care of business quickly at the No.2 position. She dominated the match from the start, but didn’t let up.”
Borck was forced to make some adjustments in her game after losing the first set.
“Jenny’s match was the one that clinched the match,” Aid said. “The Kennesaw player kept the ball really low. Jenny didn’t have time to play into the net like she likes to do. She had to play on the base line a little bit more.”
The Lady Bisons are 11-9 overall, 2-3 in the A-Sun. Kennesaw State is 1-14, 0-5 in the conference.
Tuesday the Lady Bisons will be back in action in a non-conference match against Southeastern Louisiana at 2 p.m. at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
Lipscomb 6, Kennesaw State 1
Fair Oaks Tennis Center
1. Virginie Stein (KSU) def. Hannah Gamage (LIPSW) 6-0, 6-0
2. Deahna Welcher (LIPSW) def. Jana Hueckinghaus (KSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Laura Kent (LIPSW) def. Alexandra Mercado (KSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
4. Melissa Kromer (LIPSW) def. Isabela Castro (KSU) 6-3, 6-7, 6-4
5. Jenny Borck (LIPSW) def. Cristina Martin (KSU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-3
6. Danielle Kinnen (LIPSW) def. Ashleigh De Wet (KSU) 6-3, 6-4
1. Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (LIPSW) def. Virginie Stein/Jana Hueckinghaus (KSU) 8-6
2. Jenny Borck/Deahna Welcher (LIPSW) def. Gabriela Bueno/Isabela Castro (KSU) 8-3
3. Alexandra Mercado/Cristina Martin (KSU) def. Hannah Gamage/Danielle Kinnen (LIPSW) 8-4