MACON, Ga. – Lipscomb's Deahna Welcher claimed two big points this week in the match vs. NKU to earn the Atlantic Sun Women's Tennis Player of the Week, announced Monday by the conference office.
It is the second A-Sun Player of the Week award for the Lady Bisons. Laura Kent has also been honored this season.
Welcher's week kicked off with a No. 2 doubles win with Jenny Borck over NKU's Nicole Soutar and Rheanna Morehart. The Lipscomb team won their match, 8-2. Welcher took her spot at No. 2 singles against Sydney Power. The two battled in the first two sets, splitting one each. Welcher came out on top with a 10-8 victory in the third set to earn the win. Lipscomb defeated Northern Kentucky, 6-1, to earn the No. 4 seed in the A-Sun Championship.
Lipscomb and Welcher will see Northern Kentucky again on Friday in the A-Sun Women's Tennis Championship at 11:30 a.m. ET. The winner of that match will go on to face top-seed North Florida.
Atlantic Sun Women's Tennis Player of the Week - Apr. 13th
Deahna Welcher, Lipscomb
Senior | Clarksville, Ind. | Marketing
- First Career A-Sun Tennis Player of the Week Award
- Finished the week 2-0 for Lipscomb
- Joined Jenny Borck to win at No. 2 doubles, 8-2
- Def. Power in three sets at No. 2 singles, 4-6, 6-3, 10-8
- Evened Lipscomb's conference record to 3-3 with win
- Helped Lipscomb to the No. 4 seed in A-Sun Championship