JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Last season they were just happy to qualify to the Atlantic Sun Tournament for the first time. This season they were the No. 4 and wanted to move past the quarterfinals.
The Lady Bisons made it to the semifinals this year, but they fell to No. 1 seed North Florida on its home court 4-0.
“Next year we will have the finals as our goal,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “It is our expectation as coaches to have our team in the final match next season.
“The last two years we have started to set an expectation for our program to be in the finals of the tournament.”
The Lady Bisons lose two seniors. Deahna Welch played the majority of the season at No. 2 and Jenny Borck was at No. 5.
“We will return the majority of our team,” Aid said. “Jenny and Deahna have done great things for our program. We thank them for the culture they bought into and the ways they made things better.”
But Aid is already looking ahead to next year and even more success.
Dani Kinnen, one of the returning players next season, has battled injuries but finished the season strong.
“Dani played her best tennis this weekend,” Aid said. “She is healthy. She is ready to go.
“Melissa Kromer had a great showing with a lot of fight. Laura Kent is a competitor. And Hannah Gamage has been impactful as a freshman at No. 1.”
The Lady Bisons end the season with a 13-10 record, a program high in victories in the NCAA era.
“We made it to the semifinals for the first time ever,” Aid said. “We had the winningest team in the history of the program in the NCAA.
“At the end of the day Laura Kent made first team all-conference. All of our players in the first six had winning records. It is a big step forward.”
North Florida, 16-3, will face Florida Gulf Coast, the No. 3 seed, for the conference championship Sunday.
“We had some battles with some strong programs. We obviously want more.
“It was a sad loss for us. I don’t think we left it all on the court.”
Atlantic Sun Semifinals
No. 4 Lipscomb vs No. 1 North Florida (April 18, 2015)
At Jacksonville, Florida (UNF Tennis Complex)
1. Esther Zuniga (UNF-W) def. GAMAGE, Hannah (LIPW) 6-0, 6-1
2. Michelle Valdez (UNF-W) def. WELCHER, Deahna (LIPW) 6-2, 6-1
3. Quetzali Vazquez (UNF-W) vs. KENT, Laura (LIPW) 3-6, 3-1, unfinished
4. Taylor Hollander (UNF-W) vs. KROMER, Melissa (LIPW) 7-6 (7-2), unfinished
5. Marina Cunningham (UNF-W) def. BORCK, Jenny (LIPW) 6-0, 6-0
6. Luise Intert (UNF-W) vs. KINNEN, Danielle (LIPW) 4-6, 3-0, unfinished
1. KROMER, Melissa/KENT, Laura (LIPW) def. Taylor Hollander/Esther Zuniga (UNF-W) 6-3
2. Luise Intert/Rebeca Pereira (UNF-W) def. BORCK, Jenny/WELCHER, Deahna (LIPW) 8-3
3. Quetzali Vazquez/Marina Cunningham (UNF-W) def. GAMAGE, Hannah/KINNEN, Danielle (LIPW) 8-2