NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb women’s tennis team started its season Sunday in Murray, Kentucky against Alabama A&M and Murray State.
In their first match of the season, the Lady Bisons picked up a 7-0 win in a sweep of Alabama A&M.
They started strong and secured the doubles point quickly, only dropping two games total in the three matches.
Melissa Kromer and Laura Kent played in the top spot and defeated Jessica Taylor and Virag Hollos 6-1.
In the two seed, Jenny Borck and Deahna Welcher defeated Shrarre Smith and Orianna Rodriquez 6-1.
Kathryn Evans and Lorena Djuknic didn’t drop a game as they went on to beat Jasmine Jenkins and Khyana Price 6-0.
As the top seed in singles, Welcher faced Hollos, defeating her 6-2, 7-6(1).
Kromer continued the strong play with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Taylor in the No. 2 in singles play.
Djuknic played in the five spot and didn’t drop a game defeating Price 6-0, 6-0.
Head coach Jamie Aid felt opening with Alabama A&M gave her team a good feel for the facilities they would be playing in against Murray State and see how the courts were playing.
The Lady Bison’s second match was much closer with Murray State taking it 4-2.
“We knew we’d have our hands full with Murray State,” Aid said.
Lipscomb came out and took the doubles point to start the match, which was an area they struggled in last season.
Kromer and Kent again would team up to defeat Erin Patton and Andrea Eskauriatza 6-4.
The team of Borck and Welcher returned in the two spot and delivered a win over Nancy Karaky and Megan Blue 6-2.
Singles action went Murray State’s way, but the Lady Bisons battled including a win over one of Murray State’s ranked players.
The lone win came by Kent in what was a major confidence booster. She faced Nancy Karaky who is ranked nationally in singles play and defeated her 6-4, 6-3.
Welcher played Andrea Eskauriatza, who is also ranked nationally for singles play. Welcher would play her close but fall 6-7(6-8), 2-6.
In the five spot Borck faced Patton and battled to three sets before eventually falling 5-7, 6-4, 6-3.
Aid was pleased with her team’s play, especially since they were unable to practice as a team until last night due to illness.
“The girls did well,” Aid said. “They saw how deep they are and saw where they are going. They saw what can happen and were pretty fired up after the match.”
The Lady Bison’s hit the court again Friday as they open their home schedule against UT-Martin. Play starts 7 p.m. at Whitworth Country Club. They will then travel to Memphis to take on the Tigers who currently sit at No. 58 in the nation. Play in Memphis will start at 1 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.
Lipscomb 7 – Alabama A&M 0
1. Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (Lip.) def. Jessica Taylor/Virag Hollos (AAMU) 6-1
2. Jenny Borck/Deahna Welcher (Lip.) def. Shrarre Smith/Orianna Rodriquez (AAMU) 6-1
3. Kathryn Evans/Lorena Djuknic (Lip.) def. Jasmine Jenkins/Khyana Price (AAMU) 6-0
1. Deahna Welcher (Lip.) def. Virag Hollos (AAMU) 6-2, 7-6(1)
2. Melissa Kromer (Lip.) def. Jessica Taylor (AAMU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Laura Kent (Lip.) def. Orianna Rodriquez (AAMU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Hannah Gamage (Lip.) def. Shrarre Smith (AAMU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Lorena Djuknic (Lip.) def. Khyana Price (AAMU) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kathryn Evans (Lip.) def. Jasmine Jenkins (AAMU) 8-0
Murray State 4 – Lipscomb 2
1. Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (Lip.) def. Erin Patton/Andrea Eskauriatza (MSU) 6-4
2. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (Lip.) def. Nancy Karaky/Megan Blue (MSU) 6-2
3. Danielle Kinnen/Hannah Gamage (Lip.) vs. Eleonore Tchakarova/Alena Vasileva (MSU) 5-4, unfinished
1. Andrea Eskauriatza (MSU) def. Deahna Welcher (Lip.) 7-6(8-6), 6-2
2. Eleonore Tchakarova (MSU) def. Melissa Kromer (Lip.) 6-1, 6-1
3. Laura Kent (Lip.) def. Nancy Karaky (MSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Megan Blue (MSU) def. Danielle Kinnen (Lip.) 6-2, 6-4
5. Erin Patton (MSU) def. Jenny Borck (Lip.) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
6. Alena Vasileva (MSU) def. Lorena Djuknic (Lip.) 6-3, 6-2