NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb women’s tennis team hosted a tough UT-Chattanooga team Saturday night falling 5-2.
UT-Chattanooga (5-0) was able to take the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches by scores of 6-2. Lipscomb’s (3-3) Deahna Welcher and Jenny Borck played in the two spot and defeated Kaylene Chadwell and Kelsey Coots 6-2.
“We didn’t come out with energy in doubles,” head coach Jamie Aid said. “We did bring energy into singles, though.”
Singles play saw back and forth battles as three matches went the full three sets.
Welcher played in the top spot for the Lady Bisons, but fell to Kayla Jones in three sets 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-1.
Freshman Hannah Gamage played as the two seed and found herself in a battle with UTC’s Kaylene Caldwell. Gamage was able to take the first set, before Caldwell battled back for a 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 win.
Laura Kent played in the three seed and picked up the first big win for the Lady Bisons defeating Kelsey Coots 6-2, 7-6(0).
Melissa Kromer and Samantha Caswell played the fourth seeded match and the final match to go three sets. Kromer won to keep the Lady Bisons in it, 2-6, 7-5, 6-2.
The match came down to the five and six seeds, which would both go UTC’s way to give them the match win.
Coach Aid was pleased with the progress the program has made since last year when they fell to UT-Chattanooga, 7-0.
“The girls are learning how competitive we can be,” Aid said. “We are competitive. This isn’t the old Lipscomb way. Even with the loss, it’s a huge confidence builder.”
The Lady Bisons will get back to work tomorrow as they prepare to travel to Oxford, Mississippi next Friday for a battle with Ole Miss, who currently sits at No. 24 in the nation.
“We look forward to being able to play free tennis,” Aid said. “We’ll practice tomorrow and hope to come out with great effort.”
UT-Chattanooga 5 – Lipscomb 2
1. Kayla Jones/Samantha Caswell (UTC) def. Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (Lip.) 6-2
2. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (Lip.) def. Kaylene Chadwell/Kelsey Coots (UTC) 6-2
3. Rachele Gazzola/Katie Polk (UTC) def. Hannah Gamage/Danielle Kinnen (Lip.) 6-2
1. Kayla Jones (UTC) def. Deahna Welcher (Lip.) 6-1, 6-7(5), 6-1
2. Kaylene Chadwell (UTC) def. Hannah Gamage (Lip.) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Laura Kent (Lip.) def. Kelsey Coots (UTC) 6-2, 7-6(0)
4. Melissa Kromer (Lip.) def. Samantha Caswell (UTC) 2-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Claire Mulyadi (UTC) def. Jenny Borck (Lip.) 6-4, 7-5
6. Alison Storie (UTC) def. Lorena Djuknic (Lip.) 6-2, 7-5(5)