NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Thanks to a last minute adjustment to the schedule, the Lipscomb women’s tennis team was able to get match experience over the weekend, as they defeated Cumberland 7-0 on Sunday.
The Lady Bisons were scheduled to travel for a match against No. 24 Ole Miss over the weekend, but due to the recent weather had to cancel. Fortunately for the Lady Bisons, Cumberland, who currently sits at No. 28 in the NAIA, was in town playing Belmont and committed to play Lipscomb on Sunday night.
Head coach Jamie Aid was thankful for the opportunity for her girls to continue to get match play.
“They aren’t a bad tennis program,” Aid said. “Match experience was important and we’re glad they were able to play last minute. The more matches we can get in, the better.”
The Lady Bisons were able to sweep doubles play to pick up a quick doubles point.
Melissa Kromer and Laura Kent teamed up in the one spot and defeated Angelica Sepulveda and Alena Gizdić 6-1.
As the two seeds, Deahna Welcher and Jenny Borck defeated Tarsha de Souza and Gisela Armor Garcia 6-3.
Hannah Gamage and Kathryn Evans teamed up as the three seeds and defeated Franki Jecker and Trinidad Aguirre 6-2.
“We were able to get some great doubles play in,” Aid said.
The Lady Bisons kept their momentum going in singles.
As the top seed, freshman Hannah Gamage played a tough three setter, but was able to edge out Sepulveda 7-5, 4-6, 6-2.
Melissa Kromer played in the three spot and defeated de Souza 7-6, 6-2.
Playing as the four seed, Jenny Borck played Garcia and pulled out a 6-0, 6-1 victory.
Coach Aid is pleased with what she has seen by her girls on the court in recent play.
“The girls handled themselves well,” Aid said. “We’re starting to see girls more comfortable with their game. It’s good to see that confidence.”
The Lady Bisons will take the court again this Friday for a match against Arkansas State at Whitworth Country Club.
Lipscomb 7 – Cumberland 0
1. Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (Lip.) def. Angelica Sepulveda/Alena Gidzić (CU) 6-1
2. Deahna Welcher/Jenny Borck (Lip.) def. Tarsha de Souza/Gisela Armor Garcia (CU) 6-3
3. Hannah Gamage/Kathryn Evans (Lip.) def. Franki Jecker/Trinidad Aguirre (CU) 6-2
1. Hannah Gamage (Lip.) def. Angelica Sepulveda (CU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
2. Deahna Welcher (Lip.) def. Alena Gidzić (CU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Melissa Kromer (Lip.) def. Tarsha de Souza (CU) 7-6, 6-2
4. Jenny Borck (Lip.) def. Gisela Armor Garcia (CU) 6-0, 6-1
5. Danielle Kinnen (Lip.) def. Franki Jecker (CU) 6-3, 6-0
6. Lorena Djuknic (Lip.) def. Jasmine Shanker (CU) 8-4