NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb women’s tennis team picked up a win in their first outdoor match of the 2015 campaign as they defeated Lindsey Wilson College, who sits at No 4 in NAIA, 5-2 on Monday.
The Lady Bisons mixed up their double’s teams and their single’s lineup as they continue to improve upon their depth from top to bottom. Head coach Jamie Aid wants her team to be comfortable playing with any teammate and playing at any seed.
“Today was an interesting day to see our depth,” Aid said. “And to see that teamwork in doubles when you have to communicate with your partner and play under different circumstances. Our depth is to that point where we have to be able to play with anybody and be expected to do well with that person.”
They didn’t skip a beat as the two and three doubles teams picked up big wins.
As the two seeds, Laura Kent teamed up with Danielle Kinnen to take on Henar Munoz and Fiona Curty. Kent and Kinnen would go on to win 7-7 (7-0).
In the three seed, Lorena Djuknic and Hannah Gamage defeated Ana Helena Pinto and Anna Gaprindashvili 8-4.
The Lady Bisons were able to keep up their strong play as they moved into singles action.
Gamage played as the top seed and took on Alicia Rodriquez, winning 6-4, 6-2.
Deahna Welcher moved to the three spot to play Diana Gerlakh. Welcher didn’t drop a game as she won 6-0, 6-0.
As the four seed Jenny Borck played Jessica King, pulling out a close 7-5, 6-4 victory.
Djuknic played in the five spot and defeated Curty 7-5, 7-6, to cap off the Lady Bison victory.
The Lady Bisons are back in action on Tuesday as they take on rival Belmont at 2 p.m. Play is set to take place at Centennial Sportsplex but may move indoors pending the upcoming weather.
“If we play Lipscomb tennis, we will have no problem,” Aid said. “They understand what that is and owning our game style.”
Lipscomb 5 – Lindsey Wilson College 2
1. Alicia Rodriquez/Jessica King (LWC) def. Jenny Borck/Deahna Welcher (Lip.) 8-4
2. Laura Kent/Danielle Kinnen (Lip.) def. Henar Munoz/Fiona Curty (LWC) 7-7 (7-0)
3. Lorena Djuknic/Hannah Gamage (Lip.) def. Ana Helena Pinto/Anna Gaprindashvili (LWC) 8-4
1. Hannah Gamage (Lip.) def. Alicia Rodriquez (LWC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Henar Munoz (LWC) def. Laura Kent (Lip.) 1-6, 7-6, 10-6
3. Deahna Welcher (Lip.) def. Diana Gerlakh (LWC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Jenny Borck (Lip.) def. Jessica King (LWC) 7-5, 6-4
5. Lorena Djuknic (Lip.) def. Fiona Curty (LWC) 7-5, 7-6
6. Ana Helena Pinto (LWC) def. Kathryn Evans (Lip.) 6-4, 6-2