NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Playing tennis is tough enough, but dealing with a rash of illness makes it even more of a challenge.
Despite several players dealing with sickness the Lipscomb Lady Bisons prevailed 6-1 Sunday night over Alabama-Huntsville at the Whitworth Indoor Tennis Center.
“It was another battle of some mental toughness with our girls,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “This weekend we have had to reach into our depth. We had to have some of our girls step up and play through some illness.
“Against UAH in doubles we played Kate Kandyba and Hanna Victorsson at No. 2 doubles. This is a pair that we haven't put together yet. They executed what we have discussed with doubles. It nice to see a pair that has yet to play to be able to go out and execute a 6-0 win.”
The Lady Bisons swept the doubles matches. They also won the first five singles matches. Kathryn Evans, playing at No. 6, was unable to complete her attempt for her second singles match win in a row as she had to retire from the match due to illness. The decision went to Alabama-Huntsville.
Thabile Tshatedi played a bonus match beating her opponent 8-2.
“I was proud of our girls being able to battle through adversity well,” Aid said.
The Lady Bisons, 2-2, are off Monday with weekend road matches against IUPUI and Butler next on the schedule.
“We hope to get our girls healthy this week and feeling good,” Aid said. “We have a great opportunity this weekend to be on the road and play two schools we haven't played before.”
Lipscomb 6, UAH 1
Feb. 7, 2016
Whitworth Tennis Center
- Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (LIP) def. Marleen Gort/Sarah Stearman (UAH), 6-3
- Hanna Victorsson/Kate Kandyba (LIP) def. Aniek Remmerswaal/Madison Gulick (UAH), 6-0
- Lorena Djuknic/Kathryn Evans (LIP) def. Cristina Cabanas/Marta Briega (UAH), 6-2
- Gamage (LIP) def. Gort (UAH), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2
- Kandyba (LIP) def. Stearman (UAH), 2-6, 7-6, (7-5), 6-2
- Victorsson (LIP) def. Remmerswaal (UAH), 6-1, 6-3
- Kromer (LIP) def. Cabanas (UAH), 6-4, 6-3
- Djuknic (LIP) def. Naomi Esteve (UAH), 6-0, 6-0
- Briega (UAH) def. Evans (LIP), 3-6, 1-2 (retired inj.)