INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. -The Lipscomb women’s tennis team won its second match of the weekend and its third in a row with a 6-1 decision Saturday at Butler.
The Lady Bisons swept the doubles matches, setting the stage for a dominating performance in the singles contests.
Hannah Gamage set the pace at No. 1 followed by wins by Laura Kent, No. 3; Hanna Victorsson, No. 4; Melissa Kromer, No. 5; and Lorena Djuknic at No. 6. All of the wins were in straight sets.
“Our challenge to our team this week was handling adversity,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “I thought our girls handled the adversity of being on the road very well.
“Our energy against Butler was much better than the previous day against IUPUI. We want to see improvements day-to-day in our team. There are small items we can improve on daily.”
Victorsson has won her last three matches wearing a Lipscomb uniform. Kromer is 5-1 after back-to-back wins this weekend give her four wins in a row. Gamage is 4-0 in singles matches.
“This goes back to being process minded,” Aid said. “We are looking forward to a good week of practice as we prepare for next week’s matches”
The weekend got off to a strong start with a 5-2 win at IUPUI Friday.
“IUPUI was a great win for our girls,” Aid said. “To get out of a car after five hours on the road and to win on the road is great adversity in itself.
“Friday’s environment was what our coaching staff had expected. It was loud. IUPUI’s girls wanted this win. They tried anything they could to rattle our girls. Our girls handled themselves with great maturity and it turned out to be a positive day for us.”
Lipscomb 6, Butler 1
Feb. 13, 2016
- Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (LIP) def. Bailey Padgett/Jocelyn Kester (BU), 6-3
- Danielle Kinnen/Hannah Gamage (LIP) def. Konstantina Adami/Rachel Sutton (BU), 6-4
- Lorena Djuknic/Kathryn Evans (LIP) def. Kailey Easton/Jordan Minnick (BU), 7-6 (7-4)
- Gamage (LIP) def. Padgett (BU), 6-1, 6-4
- Adami (BU) def. Kate Kandybar (LIP), 6-4, 6-3
- Kent (LIP) def. Sutton (BU), 6-3, 6-4
- Victorsson (LIP) def. Eaton (BU), 6-1, 6-2
- Kromer (LIP) def. Michelle McFerran (BU), 6-3, 6-1
- Djuknic (LIP) def. Callie Schmitt (BU), 6-1, 6-0