NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb women’s tennis team picked up their fifth win in a row with a dominant 7-0 win over rival Belmont.
The win marks the first time in program history that the Lady Bisons have swept their rival.
The Lady Bisons got ahead early in the “Battle of the Boulevard” after taking the double’s point Friday night at the Whitworth Racquet Center.
Kate Kandyba and Hanna Victorsson got things started from the third line in doubles action. The team dropped just one game on their way to a 6-1 win over Abbie Mather and Ann Lauren Fiepke.
Lipscomb would go on to seal the point at the top line, where Melissa Kromer and Laura Kent teamed up. Kent and Kromer found themselves in a closer match but were able to outlast Lindsey Whitehead and Kendall Warren 7-5.
This win was Kromer and Kent’s fourth win in their last five matches as they did not finish the fifth match.
The Lady Bisons had no problem carrying that momentum into singles play.
Danielle Kinnen faced Maddie Gilley at the six spot and dropped just one game on her way to a 6-0, 6-1 win.
Matches were closer toward the top, including a third set tiebreak at the two line.
After dropping the first set to Warren, Kandyba was able to fight back and take the match 4-6, 7-5, (10-4).
Hannah Gamage saw Whitehead at the top spot in singles in another close match. Gamage won the first set by a single break on her way to a 7-5, 6-3 win.
From the third spot, Kent faced Laura Van Eeckhaudt and went on to win 6-2, 6-3. Kent has won four straight singles matches since returning from injury.
Victorsson saw Suzanna Stapler at the fourth spot and took the match 6-4, 6-2.
Head coach Jamie Aid felt like her team came into the match ready mentally and that led to an impressive win.
“Our girls came out mentally prepared for this matched and executed their games,” Aid said. “We have been working on owning our games and control what we can on our side of the net. I’m proud of our girls for tonight and look forward to another home match.”
The Lady Bisons return to Whitworth Saturday at 7 p.m. against Southeast Missouri State.
Lipscomb 7 – Belmont 0
- Melissa Kromer/Laura Kent (LIP) def. Lindsey Whitehead/Kendall Warren (BEL) 7-5
- Danielle Kinnen/Hannah Gamage (LIP) vs. Mical Johnson/Laura Van Eeckhaudt (BEL) 4-5, unf.
- Kate Kandyba/Hanna Victorsson (LIP) vs. Abbie Mather/ Ann Lauren Fiepke (BEL) 6-1
- Hannah Gamage (LIP) def. Lindsey Whitehead (BEL) 7-5, 6-3
- Kate Kandyba (LIP) def. Kendall Warren (BEL) 4-6, 7-5, (10-4)
- Laura Kent (LIP) def. Laura Van Eeckhaudt (BEL) 6-2, 6-3
- Hanna Victorsson (LIP) def. Suzanna Stapler (BEL) 6-4, 6-2
- Melissa Kromer (LIP) def. Abbie Mather (BEL) 6-2, 4-0 (Retired)
- Danielle Kinnen (LIP) def. Maddie Gilley (BEL) 6-0, 6-1