NASHVILLE, Tenn. – It took two venues to finish it, but a fast start in doubles play did not carry over into singles competition for the Lipscomb women’s tennis team.
Thursday morning the Lady Bisons opened play at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on the Lipscomb campus hoping to complete their first Atlantic Sun match of the season against Florida Gulf Coast before predicted rain began to fall.
The doubles point and two singles matches were completed, but wet courts forced the remainder of the match to be played indoors at Nashboro Village.
Lipscomb lost the match 5-2. The Lady Bisons are 10-4, 0-1 in the A-Sun. FGCU is 7-7, 1-0 in the conference. Lipscomb is 0-10 overall against the Eagles.
“We played the best doubles I have seen us play all year,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “I am very proud of how our girls came out in doubles.
“We challenged our girls to start off the first sets with great focus and they also accomplished that. What we fell short of today was finishing sets and games.”
After jumping out to commanding leads in the first set, several players lost those sets and ultimately their matches.
“We had several girls up 5-1 in sets and FGCU came back,” Aid said. “We have to have a better response in tough situations.
“FGCU played well. We knew the match was going to be a fight and they won a great match. I believe this match motivated our girls for practice this week to prepare for two on the road matches against very good UNF and Stetson teams. We believe this team should do really well in conference play if we commit to our games from start to finish.”
Friday’s game with Morehead State has been canceled.
FGCU 5, Lipscomb 2
March 25, 2016
- Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (LIP) def. Breana Stampfli/Jocelyn Trevis (FGCU), 6-3
- Julianna Curtis/Julia Ascua (FGCU) def. Dani Kinnen/Hannah Gamage (LIP), 6-1
- Kate Kandyba/Hanna Victorsson (LIP) def. Laura Falceto/Elizabeth Means (FGCU), 6-2
- Stampfli (FGCU) def. Gamage (LIP), 6-1, 6-2
- Treves (FGCU) def. Kandyba (LIP), 6-3, 6-2
- Ascua (FGCU) def. Kent (LIP), 2-6, 6-3, 3-6
- Victorsson (LIP) def. Curtis (FGCU), 7-5, 6-4
- Means (FGCU) def. Kromer (LIP), 6-7 (5-7), 5-7