NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb woman’s tennis team picked up its first Atlantic Sun win on Thursday with a 4-1 defeat of USC-Upstate.
Wins at the first and third lines gave the Lady Bisons the early doubles point and they didn’t look back at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on the Lipscomb campus.
“I thought our girls fought well today,” Lipscomb head coach Jamie Aid said. “We had a lot of wind to handle this morning while playing where we had to adjust game plans.”
Lipscomb (11-6, 1-3) relied on the bottom half of the lineup to secure the win as the four, five and six spots all won. Upstate is 0-18, 0-4 in the conference.
At the fifth spot, senior Melissa Kromer picked up the first win without dropping a game, defeating Anna Nemeth 6-0, 6-0.
Danielle Kinnen picked up the second win at the sixth spot over Ruby Kubar. Kinnen dropped just one game on her way to a 6-1, 6-0 win.
Three Lady Bisons went the full three sets. Hanna Victorsson was the first to finish as she sealed the win for Lipscomb. After splitting the first two sets, Victorsson defeated Carol Sigaki 6-4, 4-6, 6-1.
“Three of the matches went into a third set and we handled those third sets playing our aggressive tennis,” Aid said. “Upstate had good fight today. They have a lot to play for.”
With the first win out of the way, the Lady Bisons look to Saturday as they host new conference opponent NJIT at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center at 11:30 a.m. This will also be "Senior Day" with Lorena Djuknic, Dani Kinnen and Melissa Kromer to be honored.
A win on Saturday puts the Lady Bisons into the conference tournament for a third straight year.
Lipscomb 4 – USC-Upstate 1
- Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (LIP) def. Anna Zoske (UPST) 6-1
- Carol Sigaki/Vale Zarama (UPST) def. Danielle Kinnen/Hannah Gamage (LIP) 6-2
- Kate Kandyba/Hanna Victorsson (LIP) def. Ruby Kubac/Anna Nemeth (UPST) 6-2
- Anna Zoske (UPST) def. Hannah Gamage (LIP) 6-3, 6-3
- Kate Kandyba (LIP) vs. Filippa Ericson (UPST) 2-6, 7-5, 4-2, unfinished
- Laura Kent (LIP) vs. Vale Zarama (UPST) 6-4, 1-6, 5-2
- Hanna Victorsson (LIP) def. Caro Sigaki (UPST) 6-4, 4-6, 6-1
- Melissa Kromer (LIP) def. Anna Nemeth (UPST) 6-0, 6-0
- Danielle Kinnen (LIP) def. Ruby Kubac (UPST) 6-1, 6-0