NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb women’s tennis team is headed to the Atlantic Sun Conference tournament for a third straight year after a 6-1 defeat of NJIT on Saturday.
It was "Senior Day" at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center and the Lady Bisons came out prepared to send their three seniors off with a final home victory. Lorena Djuknic, Dani Kinnen and Melissa Kromer were honored.
“Our girls came out really focused on this win for Senior Day,” Lipscomb head coach Jamie Aid said. “I am very proud of our team and our seniors.”
Lipscomb (12-6, 2-3) took an early lead with wins at the first and third lines in doubles to take the point.
Kromer teamed up with Laura Kent to take the match at the first line 6-2 over Nathalie Habegger and Alba Rosas Garcia.
A default win for Hanna Victorsson and Kate Kandyba would seal the point for the Lady Bisons.
Lipscomb continued their strong play into singles action, dropping just one match.
At the top spot, Hannah Gamage defeated Rafaella Sampaio 6-4, 6-2.
Kent saw her match at the second line go the distance against Habeggar. The junior would go on to win the match 6-2, 3-6, (10-8).
Two more singles wins came from the seniors in the lineup.
Kromer had no problems at the fourth spot as she defeated Ines Vujkovac 6-3, 6-0.
Kinnen dropped the opening set of her match before bouncing back to go to three sets. Kinnen was able to defeat Amanda Helminsky 6-7 (3-7), 6-2, (10-5).
Djuknic won by default.
With their tournament spot locked up, the Lady Bisons move their focus to continuing to improve heading into the end of the season.
The Lady Bisons finish their regular season slate next week with a non-conference match at Samford on Wednesday before closing the A-Sun regular season at Kennesaw State on Saturday.
Aid and her team aren’t stopping with the tournament berth as they plan to play a lot more tennis this season.
“They finished their career at home on a high note, however we have a lot more we want to accomplish,” Aid said. “Our season is far from over with two road matches this coming week and the conference tournament.”
Lipscomb 6 – NJIT 1
- Laura Kent/Melissa Kromer (LIP) def. Nathalie Habegger/Alba Rosas Garcia (NJIT) 6-2
- Rafaella Sampaio/Amanda Helminsky (NJIT) vs. Danielle Kinnen/Lorena Djuknic (LIP) 5-2, unfinished
- Hanna Victorsson/Kate Kandyba (LIP) def. Ines Vujkovac/Tiffany Barnes (NJIT) default
- Hannah Gamage (LIP) def. Rafaella Sampaio (NJIT) 6-4, 6-2
- Laura Kent (LIP) def. Nathalie Habegger (NJIT) 6-2, 3-6, (10-8)
- Alba Rosas Garcia (NJIT) def. Hanna Victorsson (LIP) 6-7, 6-1, (10-4)
- Melissa Kromer (LIP) def. Ines Vujkovac (NJIT) 6-3, 6-0
- Danielle Kinnen (LIP) def. Amanda Helminsky (NJIT) 6-7 (7-3), 6-2, (10-5)
- Lorena Djuknic (LIP) vs. Tiffany Barnes (NJIT) default