BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - After two wins last week the Lipscomb woman’s tennis team saw its win streak end with a 5-2 loss to Samford on Thursday.
The Lady Bisons (12-7) dropped the doubles point and were unable to bounce back as things went into singles play.
Despite the loss, the Lady Bisons were able to compete while having to change up their normal lineup.
“Samford is a strong team,” head coach Jamie Aid said. “Today really showed our girls how deep we are with our talent.”
After splitting the matches at the first two doubles lines, the Lady Bisons were unable to take a close match at the third line and take the point.
Laura Kent and Thabile Tshatedi picked up Lipscomb’s win in doubles play with a 6-3 victory over Ellie Gerlach and Carita Moolman.
Moving forward, Aid wants to see her team react to tense situations in doubles better.
“In doubles, we need to be more comfortable in pressure situations,” Aid said. “We had clinch point in doubles at number three and we were not able to convert that into a point.”
The two players the Lady Bisons plugged into the lineup, Lorena Djuknic and Tshatedi, stepped up in a big way in singles play.
Tshatedi faced three sets against Annika Hepp at the fifth line in her first singles match. After dropping the first match, the freshman bounced back to take the match 3-6, 6-4, 7-5.
Djuknic stepped into the six spot to face Georgina Jupp. Djuknic was able to come out of the match with a 6-2, 6-3 win.
Aid was pleased to see players step into the lineup and produce when called upon.
“I’m very proud of our team today in singles,” Aid said. “We were able to place two players in our lineup and produce wins with Lorena and Thabile.”
Lipscomb will now travel to Kennesaw, Georgia for their final regular season match. The winner of their match against Kennesaw State will secure the fourth spot in next week’s Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament. Either way the two teams will be in a rematch in the first round of the tournament. Play against the Owls begins at 10 a.m.
Samford 5 – Lipscomb 2
- Jessica Northcutt/Carita Moolman (SU) def. Danielle Kinnen/Hannah Gamage (LIP) 6-2
- Laura Kent/Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) def. Ellie Gerlach/Annika Hepp (SU) 6-3
- Savannah Wood/Georgina Jupp (SU) def. Hanna Victorsson/Kate Kandyba (LIP) 7-5
- Jessica Northcutt (SU) def. Hannah Gamage (LIP) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
- Carita Moolman (SU) def. Kate Kandyba (LIP) 6-1, 6-2
- Savannah Wood (SU) def. Laura Kent (LIP) 6-4, 3-6, 2-3, retired
- Ellie Gerlach (SU) def. Danielle Kinnen (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
- Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) def. Annika Hepp (SU) 3-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Lorena Djuknic (LIP) def. Georgina Jupp (SU) 6-2, 6-3