KENNESAW, Ga. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team equaled its all-time season victory total and clinched the fourth seed in the Atlantic Sun Tournament with a 5-2 win at Kennesaw State.
Saturday afternoon at the Betty L. Siegel Student Recreation & Activities Center the Lady Bisons won their 13th match, tying last season’s all-time record.
They will have a rematch with Kennesaw State in the first round of the Atlantic Sun Tournament. The Owls, 3-16, 2-4, are the fifth seed with the loss. Lipscomb is 13-6, 3-3 in the A-Sun.
The final two games were on the road for the Lady Bisons as they closed out the regular season. They split the matches, losing 5-2 at Samford Thursday.
“I am very proud of this team and how they have handled these two away matches,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “The girls have really risen up and handled new positions well.”
The Lady Bisons won the doubles point and won the No. 3 through No. 6 singles matches, all in straight sets.
Due to late season roster deletion freshman Thabile Tshatedi and senior Lorena Djuknic stepped into bigger roles in the last two matches and will continue to be counted on in the conference tournament.
“Thabile had been able to step in to team up with Laura Kent to go 2-0 in doubles,” Aid said. “Lorena has been able to slide in at No. 6 and also go 2-0 on the weekend. It takes a lot of character to do what they have been able to accomplish this weekend.
“This team is very talented with our depth. We are looking forward to continuing the mentality of being the best competitor we can be every time we step onto the court.”
Lipscomb 5, Kennesaw St. 2
At Kennesaw, Ga.
Betty L. Siegel Student Recreation & Activities Center
- Laura Hopton (KSU) def. Hannah Gamage (LIP) 6-5, 6-3
- Alexandra Mercado (KSU) def. Kate Kandyba (LIP) 6-0, 2-6, 6-1
- Laura Kent (LIP) def. Cristina Martin (KSU) 6-1, 6-3
- Hanna Victorsson (LIP) def. Isabella Castro (KSU) 7-5, 6-2
- Danielle Kinnen (LIP) def. Ashleigh De Wet (KSU) 6-4, 6-1
- Lorena Djuknic (LIP) def. Jessica Cantrell (KSU) 6-1, 6-3
- Kinnen/Gamage (LIP) unf. Martin/Mercado (KSU) 4-3
- Kent/Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) def. Hopton/De Wet (KSU) 6-1
- Victorsson/Kandyba (LIP) def. Castro/Gabriela Bueno (KSU) 6-2