NASHVILLE, Tenn. – With only five healthy players the Lipscomb women’s tennis team cannot afford any missteps.
Friday afternoon they lost the doubles points to Butler and that spelled the difference in a 4-3 loss. The match was originally scheduled to be played outside at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center, but due to the weather it was moved indoors at Nashboro Village.
The Lady Bisons are 4-11. Butler is 4-11.
Saturday at 2 p.m. the Lady Bisons face Illinois-Chicago at Huston-Marsh-Griffith. Illinois-Chicago is 7-4.
“Having one player down all of our girls have to be on and energized,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “We couldn't come to a point in the match today where we had the cohesion we needed as a group.”
Vika Dzyuba and Denise Buberl defeated Bailey Padgett and Rachel Sutton at the first line by a 6-3 score.
At the No. 2 line the Lipscomb duo of Hannah Gamage and Thabile Tshatedi lost to Jordan Minnick and Jocelyn Koester 6-3.
With only five players Lipscomb defaulted on the third line.
In singles play Dzyuba defeated Bailey Padgett 6-3, 6-2 at No. 1.
Gamage beat Sutton 6-3, 6-3 at the second line.
Buberl fell 6-4, 7-6, (7-2) to Koester at No. 3.
Tshatedi stopped Kailey Eaton 6-4, 2-6, 7-6 at the fourth line.
Jaclyn Findlay fell 6-2, 6-1 to Kendal Wilby at No. 5.
Butler’s Nina Bertino won the sixth line by default.
“This is a very young team that is still learning to handle the adversity of college tennis,” Aid said. “Our young group did not handle adversity from start to finish and that cost us the match with Butler.”
The match with Illinois-Chicago is the last match before the start of ASUN Conference play.
“I hope to see a quick turnaround from our team so we can put some key pieces together before conference play,” Aid said.
Butler 4, Lipscomb 3
- Vika Dzyuba/Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Bailey Padgett/Rachel Sutton (BU). 6-3
- Jordan Minnick/Jocelyn Koester (BU) def. Hannah Gamage/Thabile Tshatedi (LIP), 6-3
- Kailey Eaton/Carla O’Byrne (BU) won by default
- Dzyuba (LIP) def. B. Padgett (BU), 6-3, 6-2
- Gamage (LIP) def. Sutton (BU), 6-3, 6-3
- Koester (BU) def. Buberl (LIP), 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
- Tshatedi (LIP) def. Eaton (BU), 6-4, 2-6 (7-6)
- Kendal Wilby (BU) def. Jaclyn Findlay (LIP), 6-2, 6-1
- Nina Bertino (BU) won by default.