NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team ended a long and challenging spring break schedule with a 4-2 loss to Illinois-Chicago.
The match was played at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on the Lipscomb campus. Lipscomb drops to 4-12. Illinois-Chicago is 8-4.
“This was a tough match in terms of the outcome,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “I needed to make a hard decision to pull Hannah Gamage at No. 2 due to an injury. She was up a set and it cost us the clinch outcome.”
This was the final nonconference match for the Lady Bisons before starting ASUN Conference play. Aid expects to have six players healthy and ready to go before the weekend road trip to NJIT and USC Upstate.
Vika Dzyuba remains a consistent winner at the first line with a 6-0, 7-5 win over Oana Manole.
At No. 3 Denise Buberl lost the first set 7-5 to Melika LeBlanc and was up 4-3 in the second set when the match ended.
Thabile Tshatedi remains consistent at No. 4 and took a 6-4, 6-2 decision over Rachel Le Comber.
Jaclyn Findlay lost 6-0, 6-1 at the fifth line to Miranda Rodriguez Diaz de Leon.
In doubles Gamage and Tshatedi lost 6-1 at the second line to Manole and Rodriguez Diaz de Leon. Dzyuba and Buberl had an unfinished match at 4-2 against LeBlanc and Le Comber.
“We fought extremely hard in singles,” Aid said. “However, I needed to protect our roster for conference play. Losing the doubles point was costly again.
“We are playing really well and fighting hard with only five players. Having a player out is huge.”
UIC 4, Lipscomb 2
- Vika Dzyuba/Denise Buberl (LIP) vs. Melika LeBlanc/Rachel Le Comber (UIC), 4-2, unf.
- Oana Manole/ Miranda Rodriguez Diaz de Leon (UIC) def. Hannah Gamage/Thabile Tshatedi (LIP), 6-1
- Dzyuba (LIP) def. Manole (UIC), 6-0, 7-5
- Georgie Sanders (UIC) def. Gamage (LIP), 7-5, 2-1, default
- LeBlanc (UIC) vs. Buberl (LIP), 7-5, 3-4 unf.
- Tshatedi (LIP def. Le Comber (UIC), 6-4, 6-2
- Rodriguez Diaz de Leon (UIC) def. Findlay (LIP), 6-0, 6-1
- Stefan Vasic (UIC) by default