BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team hit the road for its first two matches of the spring season this weekend. Unfortunately for the Bisons, they dropped a 4-0 contest at Middle Tennessee on Saturday, before falling to Alabama by a score of 6-0 on Sunday.
Coach Jamie Aid was pleased with her team’s performance and said that the tough start to the season was by design.
“I thought the weekend went well,” Aid said. “The idea behind the schedule was to have some big matches and tough challenges to get ready for conference time. I’m really proud of the way the girls fought.”
Lipscomb officially went winless on the weekend, but several matches were not finished as the contests were played in clinch format.
Madeleine Brooks and Hannah Gamage narrowly missed doubles victories against both Middle Tennessee and Alabama. The duo dropped a 6-4 decision to Middle Tennessee’s Kim Kermet and Luisa Zirilli, before falling just short in a 7-6 (7-4) loss to Alabama’s Andie Daniell and Ann Selim.
“They did really well together,” Aid said of Brooks and Gamage. “We switched our No. 2 and No. 3 teams up for the Alabama match to see what that would look like. We know we have to be a good doubles program to pull matches out.”
Freshman Kateryna Popova was forced into the No. 1 singles position due to the absence of junior Viktoriya Dzyuba. Popova was up 6-0, 5-5 over Middle Tennessee’s Costanza Magazzini when the match was called.
“Kate’s playing great tennis, especially for a freshman,” Aid said. “She soaks in everything like a sponge. She adjusts quickly and should improve as the year goes on.”
Lipscomb will host its first home match of the season when Western Carolina pays a visit to the Whitworth Indoor Center on Friday at 7 p.m. The Bisons will then head east to take on Chattanooga on Saturday at 5 p.m.
“We’re going to let the girls rest a little bit and then pick back up later this week,” Aid said. “The girls are pretty fired up with how they’ve played, so having our first home match this weekend should be exciting. “
Saturday, Jan. 20: Middle Tennessee 4, Lipscomb 0
- Costanza Magazzini (MT) vs. Kateryna Popova (LU) 0-6, 5-5, unfinished
- M. Josefina Zehnder (MT) vs. Hannah Gamage (LU) 6-2, 5-3, unfinished
- Lee Barnard (MT) vs. Madeleine Brooks (LU) 5-7, 1-2, unfinished
- Kim Kermet (MT) def. Denise Buberl (LU) 6-1, 6-2
- Lidia Burrows (MT) def. Thabile Tshatedi (LU) 6-1, 6-1
- Luisa Zirilli (MT) def. Katerina Kandyba (LU) 6-2, 6-3 Doubles competition
- Kim Kermet/Luisa Zirilli (MT) def. Madeleine Brooks/Hannah Gamage (LU) 6-4
- Lee Barnard/Zani Barnard (MT) vs. Denise Buberl/Thabile Tshatedi (LU) 6-6 (4-2), unfinished
- Marta Peris Herrero/M. Josefina Zehnder (MT) def. Katerina Kandyba/Kateryna Popova (LU) 6-4
Sunday, Jan. 21: Alabama 6, Lipscomb 0
- No. 106 Andie Daniell (UA) def. Kateryna Popova (LU) 6-3, 6-0
- Smith Hinton (UA) def. Hannah Gamage (LU) 6-1, 6-3
- Luca Fabian (UA) def. Madeleine Brooks (LU) 6-0, 6-1
4 Kylie Moulin (UA) def. Denise Buberl (LU) 6-2, 6-2
- Jacqueline Pelletier (UA) vs. Thabile Tshatedi (LU) 7-6 (7-1), unfinished
- Kimberley Gintrand (UA) def. Katerina Kandyba (LU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
- Andie Daniell/Ann Selim (UA) def. Madeleine Brooks/Hannah Gamage (LU) 7-6 (7-4)
- Denise Buberl/Kateryna Popova (LU) vs. Alba Cortina-Pou/Luca Fabian (UA) no result
- Kylie Moulin/Kimberley Gintrand (UA) def. Thabile Tshatedi/Katerina Kandyba (LU) 6-3