CINCINNATI, Ohio- The Lipscomb women’s tennis team went to Ohio hoping to pull off an upset or two, but they instead returned home with a pair of losses.
Xavier (2-3) shutout Lipscomb 7-0 on Friday night, before Cincinnati took a 5-2 victory over the Bisons on Saturday afternoon.
“The weekend has its ups and downs for sure,” coach Jamie Aid said. “The Xavier match had low energy and low morale, and the road trip probably had something to do with that.”
The two matches were Lipscomb’s first after learning of a season-ending injury to senior Hannah Gamage, the team’s captain and most experienced athlete.
“We got the group together after (the Xavier) match, and we said that we have a responsibility to fight for Hannah,” Aid said. “Hannah’s a big part of our team, and she’s still part of her team. Once she gets healthy, she’ll be back on the road with us to help motivate the girls.”
Xavier won all six singles matches and picked up the doubles point on Friday, although Kateryna Popova and Viktoriya Dzyuba took their singles matches to third sets.
The Bisons bounced back on Saturday by picking up the doubles point against the Bearcats (5-2). Popova also picked up a singles victory with a 6-3, 6-4 contest against Ioana Guna.
“Kate Popova is one of those players that’s just going to get better and better,” Aid said. “She’s a great competitor and she adjusts when needed. She’s really stepped up lately and we’ve needed that.”
Dzyuba continued her return to full health by competing in singles and doubles matches for the first time since last September.
“It’s been great to have Vika back on the court,” Aid said. “(Cincinnati) was her first match playing both singles and doubles, and she played well. We have a lot of expectations for her when she gets healthy.”
Lipscomb (1-5) faces a three-game slate next weekend, starting with a home match against rival Belmont on Friday at 7 p.m. The Bisons will then travel to Birminhgam to take on UAB on Saturday, before returning home to face North Alabama on Sunday at 6 p.m.
Friday, Feb. 2: Xavier 7, Lipscomb 0
1. Ahmeir Kyle (Xavier) def. K. Popova (LIP) 6-2, 4-6, 10-8
2. Lauren Ghidotti (Xavier) def. V. Dzyuba (LIP) 4-6, 6-2, 0-0 retired
3. Sophia Abelson (Xavier) def. M. Brooks (LIP) 6-0, 6-1
4. Rachael Reichenbach (Xavier) def. D. Buberl (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
5. Elizabeth Bagerbaseh (Xavier) def. K. Kandyba (LIP) 6-2, 6-3
6. Lauren Fitz-Randolph (Xavier) def. T. Tshatedi (LIP) 6-4, 4-3 retired
1. Sophia Abelson/Lauren Ghidotti (Xavier) def. M. Brooks/K. Popova (Lipscomb) 6-1
2. Ahmeir Kyle/Rachael Reichenbach (Xavier) vs. D. Buberl/T. Tshatedi (Lipscomb) 5-1 dnf
Saturday, Feb. 3: Cincinnati 5, Lipscomb 2
1. Kateryna Popova (LIP) def. Guna, Ioana (CIN) 6-3, 6-4
2. Coutino, Alexia (CIN) def. Viktoriya Dzyuba (LIP) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Morton, Caroline (CIN) def. Madeleine Brooks (LIP) 6-7 (4), 6-3, 7-6 (2)
4. Bramato, Antonella (CIN) def. Denise Buberl (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
5. Miceli, Emma (CIN) def. Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
6. Philp, Anna (CIN) def. Katerina Kandyba (LIP) 6-3, 6-1
1. Denise Buberl/Kateryna Popova (LIP) def. Guna, Ioana/Morton, Caroline (CIN) 6-4
2. Viktoriya Dzyuba/Madeleine Brooks (LIP\) def. Bramato, Antonella/Miller, Ali (CIN) 7-6 (3)
3. Coutino, Alexia/Miceli, Emma (CIN) def. Thabile Tshatedi/Katerina Kandyba (LIP) 6-4