NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Coach Jamie Aid and the Lipscomb women’s tennis team have been involved in their fair share of marathon matches over the years.
Friday’s battle with Detroit was not one of them. After just an hour and half, the Bisons had defeated the Titans by a score of 4-0 at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
The victory was the Bisons’ third in a row, after defeating Arkansas State and Murray State last week. Aid said the last few weeks have offered a reprieve from the team’s difficult early-season schedule.
“It’s been a beast of a schedule this season,” Aid said. “We had a couple of these mid-major schools on the schedule this month that were meant to be good preparation for conference play.”
Lipscomb (6-7) started out the afternoon by quickly taking the doubles point, a feat that Aid was especially proud of.
“Doubles was really good today,” Aid said. “We struggled against Arkansas State (last week) in doubles, so we’ve tried to reverse the psyche there.”
Lipscomb’s Kateryna Popova continued her banner season with a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Detroit junior Iris Thioux. The freshman from Ukraine is now 9-2 on the season.
Viktoriya Dzyuba’s 6-2, 6-2 win over Detroit’s Jasmine Apawti was the only other singles match to be finished. Kateryna Kandyba picked up a win the No. 6 spot via a forfeit by the Titans.
Lipscomb 4, Detroit 0
- Kateryna Popova (LIP) def. Iris Thioux (DET) 6-1, 6-4
- Viktoriya Dzyuba (LIP) def. Jasmine Apawti (DET) 6-2, 6-2
- Madeleine Brooks (LIP) vs. Pauline Van Herck (DET) 6-0, 4-5 unfinished
- Denise Buberl (LIP) vs. Ksenia Providokhina (DET) 4-6, 2-0 unfinished
- Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) vs. Chelsea Apawti (DET) 2-6, 6-2 unfinished
- Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) def. Sara Mitrakovic (DET) forfeit
- Viktoriya Dzyuba/Denise Buberl (LIP) vs. Jasmine Apawti/Chelsea Apawti (DET) unfinished
- Kateryna Popova/Madeleine Brooks (LIP) def. Pauline Van Herck/IrisThioux (DET) 6-0
- Thabile Tshatedi/Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) def. Sara Mitrakovic/ Ksenia Providokhina (DET) 6-1
The Bisons will use the first part of their Spring Break to participate in a local Nashville mission trip between practice sessions. Lipscomb will then travel to South Alabama on Wednesday for a 2 p.m. match with the Jaguars.
“We’ll practice and get on the road later this week,” Aid said. “We’ll be spending a lot of time together, so it’ll be a good (team) environment.”