KENNESAW, Ga. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team began ASUN conference play just how they had drawn it up.
Behind the doubles point and singles victories in the top four slots, Lipscomb cruised past Kennesaw State, 5-2, at the Betty Siegel Courts on Saturday afternoon.
“Every time we play a conference match, you can’t look at records or anything,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “Kennesaw played well today, but we came out in doubles and set a good tone for the day.”
Lipscomb’s tandem of Denise Buberl and Viktoriya Dzyuba coasted to a 6-1 doubles win, before Thabile Tshatedi and Kateryna Kandyba picked up a 6-3 victory to clinch the extra point.
“Our doubles in general has been improved over the past couple of weeks,” Aid said. “Everybody’s playing with a good level right now, so we’re sticking with our pairings.”
The Bisons (7-9) used singles wins from Dzyuba, Buberl, Kateryna Popova and Madeleine Brooks to power past the Owls. Dzyuba’s 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 over Kennesaw State's Alexandra Mercado clinched the match victory for Lipscomb.
Kennesaw State fell to 1-11 with the loss. The Owls' two points came off victories from Jessica Cantrell in the No. 5 spot and Aspen Jarrett in the No. 6 spot, following a retirement by Kandyba.
Saturday, March 24: Lipscomb 5, Kennesaw State 2
- Viktoriya Dzyuba (LIP) def. Alexandra Mercado (KSU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
- Kateryna Popova (LIP) def. Kennedy Craig (KSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Madeleine Brooks (LIP) def. Laura Hopton (KSU) 6-0, 6-2
- Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Cristina Perez-Martin (KSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
- Jessica Cantrell (KSU) def. Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) 6-4, 6-0
- Aspen Jarrett (KSU) def. Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) 6-2, retired
- Denise Buberl/Viktoriya Dzyuba (LIP) def. Laura Hopton/Cristina Perez-Martin (KSU) 6-1
- Alexandra Mercado/Jessica Cantrell (KSU) vs. Madeleine Brooks/Kateryna Popova (LIP) unfinished
- Thabile Tshatedi/Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) def. Kennedy Craig/Aspen Jarrett (KSU) 6-3
Lipscomb will host Florida Gulf Coast (4-7) on Thursday, March 29. Match time is set for 10 a.m. at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center. Should the event be moved indoors due to rain, updates will be posted to LipscombSports.com and to the team’s Twitter (@LipscombWTennis).
“FGCU is a very good team,” Aid said. “Every conference match is going to be a battle. They have a deep singles lineup, so it should be a fun match.”