NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team needed a victory over USC Upstate to keep their hopes of clinching the No. 3 seed for ASUN tournament alive.
On Thursday, the Bisons did just that by dispatching the Spartans, 6-1, on a picturesque day at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
“Doubles was a little flat, but we were able to pull it together,” Lipscomb coach Jamie Aid said. “Singles was great across the board – the girls showed a much higher level of energy.”
Kateryna Popova continued her stellar freshman campaign with a quick, 6-1, 6-2 victory over USC Upstate’s Noelia Acuna. She improved to 15-2 in singles play after picking up her first ASUN Player of the Week honor on Wednesday.
“It was nice to have a Player of the Week – I hope it’s not the last one I have,” Popova said. “I didn’t expect (to contribute this much) as a freshman, but I really appreciate that opportunity I have here.”
Madeleine Brooks and Denise Buberl each won their singles matches in two sets, while Viktoriya Dzyuba and Thabile Tshatedi used three sets to come out on top.
In doubles, Dzyuba and Buberl picked up a 6-3 victory to move to 5-1 as a pairing. The Bisons clinched the point when Brooks and Popova defeated USC Upstate’s team of Taylor Dodd and Noelia Acuna by a score of 7-6 in a tiebreaker.
Lipscomb improved to 9-11 overall (3-2 ASUN) with the victory. If the Bisons can defeat NJIT on Friday, they will clinch the No. 3 seed for the ASUN tournament, which would be the highest finish in program history.
Friday, April 12: Lipscomb 6, USC Upstate 1
- Viktoriya Dzyuba (LIP) def. Carol Sigaki (UPST) 6-1, 3-6, 6-3
- Kateryna Popova (LIP) def. Noelia Acuna (UPST) 6-1, 6-2
- Madeleine Brooks (LIP) def. Vale Zarama (UPST) 6-2, 6-4
- Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Taylor Dodd (UPST) 6-3, 6-3
- Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) def. Gabriela Cevallos (UPST) 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Elin Hellberg (UPST) def. Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
- Viktoriya Dzyuba/Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Carol Sigaki/Vale Zarama (UPST) 6-3
- Madeleine Brooks/Kateryna Popova (LIP) def. Taylor Dodd/Noelia Acuna (UPST) 7-6 (7-2)
- Morgan Dodd/Elin Hellberg (UPST) def. Thabile Tshatedi/Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) 6-3
The Bisons host NJIT on Friday at 11 a.m. for Senior Day. The team’s lone senior, Hannah Gamage, will be honored prior to the match. Gamage tore her Achilles in the Western Carolina match on Jan. 26, causing the Bournemouth, England native to miss virtually the entire season.
“We have a lot to play for tomorrow – I’m very proud of what Hannah has done over the last four years,” Aid said. “We’re motivated to come out and play good tennis and clinch the highest seed in program history.”