NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team couldn’t have picked a better time to find their groove.
With Friday’s 6-1 win over NJIT at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center, the Bisons clinched the No. 3 in the ASUN for the first time in program history.
“It feels good to be the third seed,” junior Viktoriya Dzyuba said. “I’m proud of how the team came together. We were really close against FGCU and North Florida, so I think we have a pretty good chance of winning (the ASUN) this year.”
The victory extended the team’s winning streak to three matches, and it capped the regular season with a Senior Day win for 4-year contributor Hannah Gamage, who is sidelined with an injury.
Coach Jamie Aid said the team’s challenging non-conference slate was ultimately worth their solid performance in the ASUN. The Bisons finished with a 10-11 overall record (4-2 ASUN).
“The schedule that we played was really tough,” Aid said of the slate that included Alabama, Tennessee and Ole Miss. “We wanted to challenge ourselves and see a high level of play prior to conference. That prepared us well for the ASUN.”
Dzyuba, Kateryna Popova, Madeleine Brooks, Denise Buberl and Kateryna Kandyba each won their singles matches in two sets, and the entire contest lasted less than two hours. Popova improved to a league-best 16-2 overall (6-0 ASUN) in singles play.
All three Lipscomb doubles teams also emerged victorious. The duo of Dzyuba and Buberl picked up a 6-4 win to move to 6-1 on the year.
Lipscomb 6, NJIT 1
- Viktoriya Dzyuba (LIP) def. Mayar Eltony (NJIT) 6-4, 6-1
- Kateryna Popova (LIP) def. Holly Matson (NJIT) 6-3, 6-1
- Madeleine Brooks (LIP) def. Rafaella Sampaio (NJIT) 6-0, 6-0
- Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Rosas (NJIT) 6-0, 6-1
- Amanda Helminsky (NJIT) def. Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) 4-6, 3-1 retired
- Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) def. Natacha Minc (NJIT) 6-2, 6-4
- Viktoriya Dzyuba/Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Holly Matson/Rafaella Sampaio (NJIT) 6-4
- Madeline Brooks/Kateryna Popova (LIP) def. Amanda Helminsky/Advaita Saravana (NJIT) 6-0
- Thabile Tshatedi/Kateryna Kandyba (LIP) def. Natacha Minc/Alba Rosas Garcia (NJIT) 6-4
Lipscomb will begin its ASUN tournament run next Friday, April 20. The tournament will be held in Jacksonville on the campus of North Florida. For more information about the tournament, please click HERE.
“We’ve got to get rested,” Aid said. “We’re going to have fun with it and give it our all down in Florida. We’re ready to focus on the tournament and try to get some revenge.”