NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team won its first match of the season with a 4-3 win over UAB Saturday night in its home opener at the Whitworth Racquet Club.
The win was the first in program history over the Blazers (0-2) for the Lady Bisons (1-1).
The Lady Bisons’ pairing of Denis Buberl and Madeleine Brooks blanked Jana Hecking and Dominika Hrabalova 6-0 to win the first match of the night, but it was UAB who took the first point with wins in the No. 1 and No. 3 spots in doubles play. Both victories were by scores of 6-4.
When singles play got going, it didn’t take long for Lipscomb to flex its muscles.
Senior Vika Dzyuba, playing in the top line, make quick work of Marlene Herrmann 6-1, 6-4. Sophomore Kate Popova followed with a straight-set victory over Alex Shchipakina 6-4, 7-5.
Buberl downed Sophie Dodds at the No. 3 spot 6-2, 7-6 (8-6) and moved to 2-0 in singles this season.
Brooks secured the match for the purple and gold by beating Megan Bertrands 6-3, 6-1.
Lipscomb will get back on the court next weekend for a pair of matches. The Lady Bisons will first travel to Northern Kentucky at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday before hosting ETSU at 6 p.m. Sunday.
FINAL RESULTS: Lipscomb 4, UAB 3
1. Marlene Herrmann/Alex Shchipakina (UAB) def. Kate Popova/Vika Dzyuba (LIP) 6-4
2. Denise Buberl/Madeleine Brooks (LIP) def. Jana Hecking/Dominika Hrabalova (UAB) 6-0
3. Sophie Dodds/Hana Sisirak (UAB) def. Maddox Bandy/Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) 6-4
Order of Finish: (2,1,3)
- Vika Dzyuba (LIP) def. Marlene Herrmann (UAB) 6-1, 6-4
- Kate Popova (LIP) def. Alex Shchipakina (UAB) 6-4, 7-5
- Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Sophie Dodds (UAB) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
- Madeleine Brooks (LIP) def. Megan Bertrands (UAB) 6-3, 6-1
- Jana Hecking (UAB) def. Thabile Tshatedi (LIP) 6-3, retired
- Dominika Hrabalova (UAB) def. Maddox Bandy (LIP) 4-6, 6-3, 11-9
Order of Finish: (1,3,2,4,5,6)