NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team completed a sweep of Northern Kentucky and ETSU over the weekend to extend the Lady Bisons win streak to three.
Lipscomb went on the road Saturday to Crestview Hills, Kentucky and defeated the Norse 4-1, before returning to Nashville on Sunday to down the Buccaneers also by a score of 4-1.
“I am very proud of this team,” Lipscomb head coach Jamie Aid said. “We had great energy from the first ball of the night to the last. These were great wins for our girls.”
The Lady Bisons jumped out to an early lead by taking the doubles point against the Norse. Madeleine Brooks and Denise Buberl made quick work of NKU’s Margita Sunjic and Elizabeth Rozin, 6-0.
Clinching the point on court three, Lipscomb’s freshman duo Maddox Bandy and Liza Diachenko held off Katja Diajanezevic and Autumn Clark to win 7-5.
The Purple and Gold continued its dominating ways in singles. Brooks routed Taylor Culbertson 6-4, 6-0, before Kate Popova followed 6-0, 7-6 over Maria Koo. Buberl clinched the win for the Lady Bisons on court four in comeback fashion after falling 0-6 in the first set. She stormed back 6-1, 6-2 to knock off Diajanezevic.
The second half of the weekend was very similar to the first with the Lady Bisons taking the doubles point against the Bucs.
Popova and Vika Dzyuba blanked ETSU’s Laylo Bakhodirova and Alejandra Morales 6-0, before Buberl and Brooks sealed the point with a 6-2 victory over Raquel Amaro and Yi Chi Ma.
Continuing the momentum into singles, Lipscomb’s Brooks was the first off the court with an impressive 6-2, 6-2 win against Pascual-Larrinaga at No. 3. Following a loss in the fourth slot, Popova swept Morales 6-4, 6-3 to set the stage for Dzyuba.
The senior, and former ASUN Player of the Year, came from behind to defeat Bakhodirova 2-6, 6-1, 6-4 in the top slot to extend Lipscomb’s winning streak to three matches.
In the first meeting since 2014, the win over ETSU was the first for Lipscomb in the program’s history. The previous six meetings between the squads had resulted in 7-0 wins for ETSU.
Lipscomb is back in action next weekend with a pair of matches on the road. The Lady Bisons travel to Murray State on Friday at noon before heading to Alabama at 4 p.m. on Sunday.
Saturday: Lipscomb 4, Northern Kentucky 3
1. Margita Sunjic (NKU) def. Vika Dzyuba (LIP) 7-5, 7-5
2. Kate Popova (LIP) def. Maria Koo (NKU) 6-0, 7-6
3. Madeleine Brooks (LIP) def. Taylor Culbertson (NKU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Denise Buberl (LIP) def. Katja Diajanezevic (NKU) 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
5. Liza Diachenko (LIP) vs. Elizabeth Rozin (NKU) 4-6, unfinished
6. Maddox Bandy (LIP) vs. Hannah Watton (NKU) 6-1, unfinished
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 4
1. Maria Koo/Taylor Culbertson (NKU) def. Kate Popova/Vika Dzyuba (LIP-W) 6-4
2. Madeleine Brooks/Denise Buberl (LIP-W) def. Margita Sunjic/Elizabeth Rozin (NKU) 6-0
3. Maddox Bandy/Liza Diachenko (LIP-W) def. Katja Diajanezevic/Autumn Clark (NKU) 7-5
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3
Sunday: Lipscomb 4, ETSU 1
1. Vika Dzyuba (LIP-W) def. Laylo Bakhodirova (ETSUW) 2-6, 6-1, 6-4
2. Kate Popova (LIP-W) def. Alejandra Morales (ETSUW) 6-4, 6-3
3. Madeleine Brooks (LIP-W) def. A. Pascual-Larrinaga (ETSUW) 6-2, 6-2
4. Yunuen Elizarraras (ETSUW) def. Liza Diachenko (LIP-W) 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 1
1. Kate Popova/Vika Dzyuba (LIP-W) def. Laylo Bakhodirova/Alejandra Morales (ETSUW) 6-0
2. Denise Buberl/Madeleine Brooks (LIP-W) def. Raquel Amaro/Yi Chi Ma (ETSUW) 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 2