MEMPHIS – The Lipscomb women’s tennis team split a pair of matches this weekend, defeating UConn 5-2 on Saturday before falling 5-2 to Memphis on Sunday.
The Lady Bisons improved to 7-3 on the year with the results.
“Our fight was very good this weekend,” Lipscomb head coach Jamie Aid said. “We have a really promising team rolling into conference play. I am very happy where we are. This is by far the most talented team this program has ever had.”
Against the Huskies, Lipscomb came from behind to win the doubles point. Madeleine Brooks and Denis Buberl earned a 6-2 victory before Kate Popova and Vika Dzyuba won 6-3 in the top spot to give the Lady Bisons the first point of the weekend.
The momentum carried over into singles for the purple and gold. Dzyuba, Popova and Brooks each recorded straight-set victories while freshman Liza Diachenko had to come from behind to defeat Gillian Perotta in the No. 4 slot, 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (12-10).
Lipscomb didn’t have as much success against the Tigers on Sunday as the home team earned the doubles point with victories at No. 2 and No 3. Popova and Dzyuba picked up a 6-3 win in the top spot.
In singles it was Dzyuba who swept 6-4, 6-3 at the top line before Buberl won 6-4, 6-7(6-8), 10-6 at No. 4.
“It was a really good weekend for our group,” Aid said. “I thought the girls played great against UConn, especially in doubles.
“We didn’t execute in doubles today against Memphis as well. With their depth, we needed to take that point.”
Lipscomb stay on the road next weekend to wrap its 4-match road trip. The Bisons will play at Belmont at 2 p.m. Friday before trekking to Lexington to battle Kentucky at 4 p.m. Sunday.
Saturday, Feb. 23: Lipscomb 5, UConn 2
- Vika Dzyuba (LIP-W) def. Jacq. Fitz-Randolph (UCONN) 6-2, 6-2
- Kate Popova (LIP-W) def. Mireille Moreau (UCONN) 7-5, 6-4
- Madeleine Brooks (LIP-W) def. Julieanne Bou (UCONN) 6-3, 6-2
- Cassie Chung (UCONN) def. Denise Buberl (LIP-W) 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Liza Diachenko (LIP-W) def. Gillian Perrotta (UCONN) 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (12-10)
- Jacqueline Lazaro (UCONN) def. Maddox Bandy (LIP-W) 6-4, 6-4
- Kate Popova/Vika Dzyuba (LIP-W) def. Julieanne Bou/Gillian Perrotta (UCONN) 6-3
- Madeleine Brooks/Denise Buberl (LIP-W) def. Jacq. Fitz-Randolph/Luciana Rabines (UCONN) 6-2
- Mireille Moreau/Cassie Chung (UCONN) def. Maddox Bandy/Thabile Tshatedi (LIP-W) 6-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (1,3,6,2,4,5)
Sunday, Feb. 24: Memphis 5, Lipscomb 2
- Vika Dzyuba (LIP-W) def. Alisha Reayer (MEM) 6-4, 6-3
- Laura Bente (MEM) def. Kate Popova (LIP-W) 6-1, 6-1
- Hannah Davies (MEM) def. Madeleine Brooks (LIP-W) 3-6, 7-5, 10-8
- Denise Buberl (LIP-W) def. Claire Sullivan (MEM) 6-4, 6-7 (6-8), 10-6
- Katherine Cao (MEM) def. Liza Diachenko (LIP-W) 6-2, 6-1
- Lina Hohnhold (MEM) def. Maddox Bandy (LIP-W) 6-1, 6-3
- Kate Popova/Vika Dzyuba (LIP-W) def. Alisha Reayer/Aleks Topalovic (MEM) 6-3
- Hannah Davies/Katherine Cao (MEM) def. Madeleine Brooks/Denise Buberl (LIP-W) 6-2
- Lina Hohnhold/Laura Bente (MEM) def. Thabile Tshatedi/Liza Diachenko (LIP-W) 6-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3) Singles (2,6,5,1,3,4)