NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Bill Taylor, director of track and field, has inked 10 recruits to join the Bisons and Lady Bisons track and field squads for the 2015 season.
"We've added great people who will help our program in many ways,” Taylor said. “As always they fit our culture and will strive for excellence in all they do. We look forward to their arrival, to helping them do big things and to their impact on our ever increasing success as a program."
Included on the list of signees for the men’s track team is a former Butler University runner who holds five school records at Butler as well as six competitors with striking high school careers.
The men’s team also welcomes several freshmen with high school career accolades that include state champions, school record holders, and MVPs.
The women’s track and field team will be bringing in three field athletes with decorated high school careers as well with achievements including state champion and district champion.
“Because our culture is so unique, we are looking for a specific recruit that fits our team in every way,” Taylor said. “Likewise, we are reaching amazing recruits because they figure out, especially after they visit and see what we are really like, that we offer something very special, something they want in their collegiate athlete experience.
“Plus, it’s fun to draw athletes together from all over the country to learn and grow from each other.”
The coaching staff searched all over the country for the perfect candidates to prolong the talent of the programs, two of which are local field athletes.
The remaining eight members of the class hail from several states throughout the country including Illinois, Colorado, Georgia, Washington, California and Pennsylvania.
Below is the list of incoming 2015 Bisons along with background info and highlights from their high school/previous school careers:
Champaign, IL/Judah Christian, Butler Univ/400-800
PR’s: 22.59 200m/48.27 400m
- Holds Butler University school records in 400m (indoor), 500m (indoor), 600m (indoor), 4x400m (indoor), and DMR (indoor).
- Earned First Team All-Big East during indoor season
Coach Evans on Alex:
Alex Berry comes to us as a transfer from Butler University. He comes to us with multiple Big East and Atlantic 10 Honors including a podium finish in the 500m at the 2014 indoor Big East Championships. We are looking for Alex to bring high level consistency to our team. He is looking to move up to the 800m and help us with taking back the 4x400m title at our conference championships and also help us toward qualifying for the NCAA preliminary round.
French Lick, IN/Springs Valley HS/Throws
PR’s: 161’3 Disc/47’7 Shot Put
- 2014 IHSAA Sectional Champion in Discus and 2nd place in Shot
- Competed in the Discus at the 2014 IHSAA Track & Field Championships
Coach Syverson on Kade:
Kade is a great guy who I’m excited I get the opportunity to coach. He has seen some tremendous PR gains this past season and has a lot of upside. He is very coachable and I was impressed with the consistency of his communication during the recruiting process. He is a great fit for Lipscomb.
Colorado Springs, CO/Cheyenne Mountain HS/Throws
PR’s: 167’4’ Discus/45’11 Shot Put
- Finished 7th at the 2013 Colorado 4A State Championships in Discus and 5th in 2014
- Track & Field Team Captain in 2013 and 2014
- 4 year letterman in Track and earned 3 Varsity letters for Football
- Cheyenne Mountain won Colorado State Championships in Track in 2012
Coach Syverson on Grayson:
Grayson comes to Lipscomb after a strong senior season which saw big improvements in his PR’s. We were excited that Grayson decided on Lipscomb early in the recruiting process. He is a leader on his team, in his school, and community and know it will be the same here.
Roswell, GA/Centennial HS/Hurdles-Sprints
PR’s: 14.86 110H/38.26 300H/54.47 400H
- Finished 6th at the 2014 GHSA 6A State Championships in the 300H
- Centennial HS record holder for High Jump, 110 Hurdles, and 300 Hurdles
Coach Evans on Josiah:
Josiah is going to make his mark on the Atlantic Sun. We are excited to add another strong hurdler to our roster. Signing Josiah makes our hurdle group much deeper and will bring a championship mindset to practice everyday. He comes to Lipscomb with a heart for Christ and a competitive fire that is going take him to great heights collegiately.
Colorado Springs, CO/Colorado Springs Christian/Sprints-Mid Distance
- Team Captain and MVP for Track & Field in 2012, 2013, and 2014
- School record holder in 4x400 relay, 800m, and 4x800 relay, and part of CO State Championship 4x400 relay team
- Was awarded Outstanding Athlete Award in 2014
Coach Evans on Danny:
Danny is going be a great addition to our 400/800 group. He is a hard worker and has a great personality that fits our culture. When Danny came to campus it was like he was already a member of our team. We are looking for Danny to step in and make an impact in the middle distance conference ranks and to be a future part of our decorated 4x400m relay.
McDonald, PA/Fort Cherry HS/Jav
PR’s: 167’ Javelin
- Team Captain of both Basketball and Track & Field team in 2013-14
- District Champion and PIAA State Championship qualifier in Javelin in 2012
- Member of school record 4x400 relay team
Coach Syverson on Sean:
Sean has spent the past two seasons as a 400/800 guy after coming off a shoulder injury from a successful 2012 Javelin season. We will be looking at getting him back in Javelin shape to add what is already a strong event for us. Sean is a strong fit for us in all areas and plans to major in engineering.
Nashville, TN/Lipscomb Academy/Throws
PR’s: 41’ Shot Put/124’6 Discus
- Earned 11 Varsity letters for the Mustangs (4 in FB, 3 in BB, 3 in Track, and 1 in Soccer)
- Was Team Captain for the 2013-14 Basketball season
- Parents were both college athletes at MTSU
Coach Syverson on Josh:
I’m excited about Josh as he is a very green thrower who has a lot of growth potential both technically and physically. Josh doesn’t have great HS marks but he has been a staple for Lipscomb Academy athletics and I know he will improve drastically. Josh and his family attend the same church I do and I know he will be a perfect character fit for our program.
Below is the list of incoming 2015 Lady Bisons along with background info and highlights from their high school careers:
Shoreline, WA/Kings HS/Throws
PR’s: 132’10 Jav/40’9 Shot Put
- Helped lead team to WIAA 1A State Championship Title after finishing 2nd in Javelin and 4th in Shot Put
- 4 year letterman in both Basketball and Track & Field
- Team Captain in both Basketball and Track
- King’s HS Outstanding Field Event Athlete in 2012, 2013, and 2014
- Multiple Cascade Conference, Tri-District, and 1A State honors in both BB and T&F
Coach Syverson on Karly:
Karly comes to our program with the ability to contribute at the ASUN championships level as a Freshman. She has great personality and character and will fit perfectly with our program. I’m excited to coach her. Karly comes from a strong program under Coach Daunte Gouge at King’s so I know the type of student-athlete we are getting. She has great athleticism and potential and think she will be great Javelin thrower at Lipscomb.
Carlsbad, CA/Carlsbad HS/HJ
PR’s: 5’5 HJ
- 4 year letterman in Track & Field
- CIF SS Division 1 Champion in 2013 and competed at CIF State Championship
- Has earned All-League and All-District honors as well as serving as Team Captain
- 2 Time California Indoor State Championship Qualifier, finished 5th in 2013
Coach Syverson on Ravyn:
I have been interested in adding Ravyn to our program since very early in our recruiting process. Carlsbad has a strong HS program and she has gotten strong club coaching as well. Women’s HJ has been a light event area for us so I’m excited to add to our depth with Ravyn. Despite her success, Ravyn has a lot of room to grow in both strength and technique and will do amazing here.
Clarksville, TN/West Creek HS/Throws
PR’s: 31’ Shot Put/100’ Discus
- 4 year varsity letterman in Track
- Involved in many school clubs such as; HOSA, Athletic Training, FCA, and was a Delta Academic Scholar
Coach Syverson on Mikayla:
Mikayla is a welcome addition to what is already one of our deeper event groups. She will be the third West Creek HS student-athlete in our program which speaks to the quality of their program and her HS coaches. She has a great personality and is excited for the opportunity to continue to grow in her events and get stronger. I know she will be a strong contributor to our ASUN title hopes during her future as a Bison.