|January 18, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||LIP|
|FG Percentage||.547 (29-53)||.459 (28-61)|
|3P FG Percentage||.450 (9-20)||.423 (11-26)|
|FT Percentage||.724 (21-29)||.593 (16-27)|
MATHEWS - 15
MARBERRY - 15
ROSE - 15
GILMORE - 1
TERRELL - 1
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s basketball let an 18-point second half lead slip away in an 88-83 loss to ASUN leader FGCU on Thursday night at Allen Arena in Nashville, Tennessee.
Up 66-48 with 13:31 to play, the Bisons (11-8, 1-3 ASUN) would go stone cold from the field missing their next 12 shots from the field and watching the Eagles (13-8, 4-0 ASUN) go on a 24-2 run. The drought would hold until 2:46 to play when Matt Rose finally drained a three as Lipscomb went 9:14 without a basket.
“We couldn’t get anything to fall,” said Lipscomb head coach Casey Alexander. “I thought we had good looks early on in the drought. Then we had a couple of turnovers trying to make too much happen. It just snowballed on us. It goes without saying that if you’re not scoring, you have to find some way to get stops and we didn’t do that either.“
Rose would tie his season high with 15 points on the night trying Garrison Mathews and Rob Marberry for the team lead for the Purple and Gold.
“I told the team in the locker room that we played better than we did last weekend,” said Alexander. “It was closer to what we have to have. I felt like our team was really together and their effort was good. Their willingness to follow the scouting report and really dig down and find a way was really good. But when you’re playing a good team you have to play well and we didn’t. In the second half, we weren’t good enough on either end of the floor.”
FGCU’s Brandon Goodwin led all scorers with a 22-point night hitting 8-of-15 from the field to go along with nine assists for the Eagles.
- With the loss, the Bisons fall to just 2-7 when allowing the opponent to score 80 or more this season.
- Mathews’ 15 points snapped a streak of 10-straight contests with 20 or more points.
- The loss snapped a six-game home-winning streak for the Bisons.
- The Eagles held a 34-30 advantage on the boards but Lipscomb held a 9-6 edge in offensive rebounding that led to a 13-2 lead in second-chance points.
- FGCU shot a blistering 66.7 percent in the first half bolstered by hitting 12 of their first 15 shots from the floor. They would go on to hold a 54.7 percent to 45.9 percent advantage.
Up next: The Bisons continue home ASUN action on Saturday on hosting Stetson at 4 p.m. at Allen Arena. The contest will air live on ESPN3. To purchase tickets visit http://www.LipscombTickets.com or call 615-966-HERD (4373).