Skip to main content

Men's Soccer > News

October 19, 20121st2nd1OT 2OT Final
STET56:22Caleb Matthews (Jonathan Mendoza )
STETAndreas Schnabl110:0013
Stats at a GlanceSTETLIP
Shots (on Goal)7 (3) 9 (5)
Corner Kicks57
Yellow Cards50
Red Cards10
Shanklin goal leads men’s soccer to tie on Senior Night
Friday, October 19, 2012
By Ryan Hilgemann
Shanklin goal leads men’s soccer to tie on Senior Night

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team played to the first draw of the season as they tied Atlantic Sun Conference foe Stetson  1-1 on Friday night, Senior Night, at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.

“I think tonight was a good response after a poor showing last Saturday against ETSU,” Lipscomb head coach Charles Morrow said. “The guys did a much better job of playing within our system and doing things we have been asking them to do.”

Matt Shanklin put the Bisons (4-9-1, 1-2-1 ASUN) on the scoreboard in the 12th minute. Fittingly on Senior Night, the senior scored his first career goal by securing a loose ball in front of the penalty box and lofting the shot over a leaping Andreas Schnabl, the Hatters goalkeeper.

Stetson (2-6-2, 1-2-1 ASUN) notched the equalizer in the 57th minute as Jonathon Mendoza broke free from the Lipscomb defense and found open space on the left side of the field. From the goal line he spotted Caleb Matthews on the far post who one-touched the ball into the net.

“I think it is a little unfortunate that we got caught on the counter,” Morrow said. “We knew coming in they were very good on the counter. Mendoza is a guy I will not miss seeing after his four years at Stetson. I thought we did a good job containing him tonight, for the most part.”

The Bisons looked to have taken the lead in the 79th minute as freshman Reece Holcombe sent a shot under the diving Schnabl and headed into the back of the net. However, a Hatters defender came sprinting in at the last moment and cleared the ball away from the gaping net.

The Purple and Gold held the edge in shots at 9-7 including an Omar Djabi header in the second-overtime, but Schnabl made a diving stop on the ball, denying a Bisons victory.

Lipscomb junior John Schnurbusch marked two saves on the night while Schnabl stopped four shots for Stetson.

With an off day on Saturday, the Bisons return to the Lipscomb Soccer Complex on Sunday for a 1 p.m. match against USC Upstate. The game will mark the final home game of the season for Lipscomb.

“I thought the guys played extremely well and fought hard to deserve the win,” Morrow said. “We’ll take the tie into Sunday and hopefully get a better result against Upstate.”